Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cocoa Sesame Thins






It is that time of the year again when my house will be filled with the amazing smell of fresh baked cookies. Merry X'mas everyone and it is this time of the year when I feel most generous with my friends. Every year, I try my best to incorporate different flavors and ingredients to the cookies and despite the stress of time and sometimes the inability to bake during the day because of motherly duties, I really enjoy the planning, baking and gift packing of these little gems as tokens of my appreciation for my friends' yearly support of friendship and giving them something that I made with my thoughts. Thanksgiving is usually thought of the time to give thanks but to me X'mas is equally important in showing appreciation as it also brings Hope, Warm and the generous teaching of giving. It just feels somehow a very magical time of the year!

I love sesame seeds and use them mostly for my bread makings and Bento lunches decoration. I love the Black sesame seed for its more robust nutty aroma while the white one is beautiful for perking up any ordinary looking baked bread or even sprinkled on plain colored desserts. I always toast the sesame seeds prior to using them. Initially I baked a batch of this cookie with only the white sesame seeds but I thought the color did not do much in perking up the cocoa thins. And for this batch, I mixed black and white sesame seeds together and toasted them. And it is obvious from these pictures that the combination of both makes the cookies more lovely and presentable as gifts.


The cookie dough needs to be rolled out very thinly and having extra flour on hand for dusting the rolling pin and surface helps alot. A square cookie cutter is a must to get the standard sizes for all the cookies which eventually will make it easier for the packing process.





No comments:

Sitemeter