One of my favorite dish to make during Spring and Summer is Quiche. Besides it being pretty with its bright yellowish and creamy egg and cream filling, it is also very adaptable and versatile with all sorts of other additional fillings, from summer vegetables of sweet pepper, asparagus to shredded chicken and ham. Whether taken out for a picnic or party or perhaps a little special treat for oneself in the lunchbox or on a lazy Sunday afternoon with a glass of white wine, Quiches fulfil the palate at anytime of the day.
350g diced & cubed Ham
4 large eggs
25g (1/3 cup) chives, snipped
Thyme, amount discretionary
250ml (1 cup) heavy Cream
125ml (1/2 cup) Milk
salt & pepper to season
300g All Purpose Flour
150g cold butter, diced
8 tbsp Milk
Prepare the Pastry Base:
1. Drop the butter pieces into the flour.
2. Use food processor to break the butter into the flour Or use hands to crumble the butter into the flour.
3. Once crumbly and mixed, add in 4 tbsp of Milk and mix. Gradually add in the rest of the milk till the mixture forms a dough. Form it into a ball and wrap with cling film. Let the dough rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Grease an 8 inch quiche pan with butter.
5. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and lined the quiche pan with the dough, with a little overhanging over the edge of the pan. Put it back into the fridge and chill for a further 15 mins.
6. Line the chilled dough with parchment paper and baking beans and bake for 20 mins. Remove paper & beans and bake a further 8 mins. Remove from the oven and put aside.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F.
Prepare the Filling:
1. Beat the eggs, add in the cream and milk and season with pepper and salt. Mix.
2. Mix the Ham cubes and chive in separate bowl and spoon into the baked tart pastry case. Spread out evenly.
3. Pour the egg and cream mixture into the pan. If desired, grate some cheese onto the top.
4. Bake at 350F for about 45 mins. Turn up the heat to 375F and complete baking for another 10 to 15 mins, until the filling is lightly set and doesn't jiggle anymore.
5. Remove from oven and let the quiche cool in the pan for about 15 mins before serving.
Serves 4 to 6.