Another Thanksgiving celebrated with my family. Oddly, this was only the second time I attempted roasting a turkey for Thanksgiving. And the secret to a flavorful big bird is nothing else but Butter! Although I like to remind myself of healthy eating on a daily basis, I take exception on celebration days and Holidays.If it is butter and cream that completes and make the best food for any celebration, they are top in my grocery list!
We managed to eat only half of our 12lb Thanksgiving Turkey and I used up the rest for Congee and this Pie today. As there was nothing to cook from scratch, this pie is very easy and fast to make as long as you have enough left over of the turkey meat and its gravy. You can add frozen mixed vegetables instead of peas only to make this pie a more hefty lunch. This pie is made in a 6 inch tart pan, but if you have bigger pie pans and more leftover turkey meat than I do, the pie dough can be doubled.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup (1 stick) Cold butter, cut into cubes
1 Large Egg
1. Process the flour with the butter cubes together in the food Processor for 1 minute.
2. Beat in the egg and mix till everything comes together to form a dough.
3. Grease a 6 inch tart/pie plate.
4. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick and line the tart/pie pan. There will be about half of the dough left. Roll this out too to use for the top part of the pie.
5. Preheat oven to 375F.
450g Shredded Turkey Meat
1/2 cup of the Leftover gravy
1/2 cup of Frozen Peas or Vegetables
4 sage leaves, julienned
1 egg for Egg wash
Salt & Black Pepper to season
1. In a large bowl, mix the turkey meat with the frozen peas/vegetables.
2. Pour in the gravy and sage leaves to mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon the filling into the lined tart/pie plate and spread evenly.
4. Take the extra dough and lay on top of the filling and pinch it to the sides to join with the dough in the pie plate. Make a few slits on the surface.
5. Place the tart/pie pan on another baking sheet and apply egg wash and bake for 1 hour. After the first 30 mins, remove from oven and apply more egg wash. Finish up baking. Turn off the oven. Any gravy oozing out from the pie is fine.
6. Let the pie sit inside the oven for another 10 mins and serve hot/warm.