Monday, January 2, 2012

Ham & Cheese Vegetable Pastry Pouch


Happy New Year 2012.

2011 went by so fast for me and I can hardly remember what I did a year ago. This year will be my 4th year doing this Blog and every year I hope to do something different from the last. Thanks to my hubby for getting me a new camera, I have ditched my old Canon and jumped ship to Sony. Food photography has become an obsession rather than a hobby for me, and I intend to progress to a better stage from here. Still, the food itself is the subject matter of the photoshoot and if it is not tantalizing to the naked eyes, no super high end or sophisticated camera can make it any better.

From my previous post, everyone must have noticed how huge my X'mas Spiral Ham was and indeed, the carved meat has been consumed with all effort and in all styles, including frying it with the omelette, serving it with hot broth Noodle and boiling it down with the Rice Congee. And today, I took out some left over frozen puff pastry that I used for the mince pies and made these Ham Pouches.


Puff Pastry is a very handy helper when you need something small, dainty and finger food like nibbles. They puff up and expands during baking, hence there is no need to use a whole package of dough at one time. For this recipe, I only had 1/3 of the puff pastry dough left and rolled it out to a measurement of 8"x 9" and piled in the filling ingredients to fill half of the rectangle lengthwise. These savory pastries are best eaten as soon as they exit the oven.

Ingredients:
Puff Pastry; Egg wash; Grated cheddar cheese; Blanched Peas & corn; Ham Slices; Boiled Quail Egg (for garnish only)

Method:
. Roll out puff pastry to desired size. Apply Egg wash and sprinkle in the ingredients except the Quail egg on half of the dough.
. Preheat oven to 400F.
. Roll up the dough with the filling into a log, pinching the seams to enclose tightly. Cut the log into 1 &1/2 inches pieces. Lay each with cut side up onto baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with more grated cheese and insert Quail egg slices into each. Apply egg wash over the top and sides lightly.
.  Bake for 20 mins. Remove and serve hot/warm.


No comments:

Sitemeter