Saturday, September 10, 2011

Drunken Chicken (Shanghai)

Hello all! Have been way too long that I have been away from cooking and blogging. Hope everyone who follows my blog is well and fine. With the year nearing to an end, that means alot of festivities and seasons to celebrate and I will get back right into the kitchen and continue cooking up and baking out stuffs that teases the eyes and pleases the palates.

I have been out of the kitchen for more than 2 months now for the simple reason that I went back to my hometown in Malaysia and let my mom's talented maid cooked me and my kids everyday meals. My passion and interest in the culinary kitchen were put on hold for a while over there and trust me, with a hot tropical temperature of 37'C everyday, I wished I can feed on ice lollies and ice cream all summer long! Every time I turned on the stove, I feel like I am the one being cooked!


Today, my family and friends will be celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival together and we do it yearly with Lanterns lit and mooncakes eaten after dinner. I have grown to like Cold dishes very much over the summer and I prepared this Shanghainese version of Drunken chicken which is served alongside Beef Tendon and JellyFish in a large platter. Restaurant versions uses chicken thighs for meatier cuts but I went with chicken wing parts of wing and drummets. If possible buy the frozen and ready cut types to save you from having to cut the wings into parts after cooking.

A table of colorful dishes is a pleasant welcome to the Autumn/Fall. Having recently returned from our respective Asia trips, my friends and I managed to cook up all these dishes to celebrate the coming of cooler weather and new school year for our kids. The mooncakes were bought in Hong Kong and coming from the land of critical eaters and gourmands, they were good. Indeed a very great gathering after a hot and away summer for all of us.




Recipe for Drunken Chicken (serves 6 person)

Ingredients:
30 pieces of Chicken wing parts (wings & drummets separated) or 3 large thigh meat
2 knobs of ginger (thumbsize), sliced thickly
White part of Green onion, 3 stalks
3 tbsp Sesame Seed Oil
2 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Chinese Shaoxing Wine
3 cups water

Method :
1. Clean the wings/thigh parts. Pat dry.
2. Boil the 3 cups water. Add in the ginger slices and green onion parts. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a rolling boil.
3. Add in the Shaoxing wine, sesame seed oil and salt.
4. Lastly add in the chicken wings parts and let simmer for 12 to 15 mins on low heat. Stir and turn the chicken pieces occasionally to ensure all parts are simmered inside the liquid.
5. Remove chicken from the liquid and drain out the liquid from the ginger and green onion pieces. Reserve this liquid and let cool to room temperature.
6. Arrange the chicken wings in a large and deep bowl/plate.
7. Pour in the broth liquid till all chicken wings are submerged. Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
8. At day of serving, remove the chicken carefully from the congeal liquid and gently scrap off any jelly. Arrange on a platter and serve with sesame seed oil. For Chicken thighs, cut into neat pieces before serving. Note that the cutting must be done only after overnight and at time of serving so as to get the best flavor from the broth.

1 comment:

Mary Chey said...

Welcome back! Like your orange cute flowers. Is that carrot? This dish served like restaurant standard. Will try this out one day. Thanks for sharing.

Sitemeter