Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Coconut Muffin



It is Mid year with the month of June flying off fast! Is it me only thinking that the earth seems to spin the 24 hours of a day at high speed or same with everyone else? I hardly see any spring Tulips during the past months of April and May and now the Roses in my front porch are blooming with the Summer heat. In my 4 Seasons, I think Summer is the shortest one to stay. Despite the longer days when dark skies only appear after 9pm and the sun rising before my alarm clock's buzz, it is still the season that I feel going very quickly before my eyes.

I am a bit overloaded with the Bake category and should have taken this opportunity of hot days to venture into making desserts that comes in a bowl or glass instead. But I have yet to find my inspiration nor motivation to do it. And with less than 3 weeks to go before I fly off back to Asia to see my family, I find that hunting for Ice Cream flavors in the  'Buy 1 Free 1' ice cream aisles at my grocery store more appealing and practical. This year, I will miss out on all the summer pickings of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries and peaches. In exchange, I will be slurping and relishing mangoes, durian (maybe), rambutan, jackfruit, guava and coconut water in Malaysia under more scorching heat for the next 2 months. Perhaps I might get my dessert making inspiration there using local fruits and blog about it. Or perhaps I will just laze around doing nothing.

With a big jar of flaked coconut sitting around, I couldn't resist but to bake with it again. My ultimate comfort baked goodie will be the muffin. Easily concocted and fast to bake, it satisfies my sudden urge to bake and always a hit with my kids at their afternoon teatime. There is no other flavor in this recipe but only coconut, inside and out. I will think serving it with vanilla or chocolate ice cream on the side is acceptable too as the flavors blend well. Alternatively, down one with an iced coffee and it will make any hot summer day delightful.



Recipe (adapted from AllRecipes.com with a bit of tweaking)

Ingredients
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1 egg
2/3 cup Milk
4 Tbsp Butter, melted
2/3 cup Flaked coconut & 1/4 cup extra for topping

Method
1) Preheat oven to 400F. Stir the Flour with the sugar, Baking Powder and Salt in a separate bowl.
2)Crack the egg into the mixer bowl, add in the melted butter and beat for 1 minute. Pour in the milk and mix for 30 seconds.
3) Stir in half of the flour mixture to blend. Pour in half of the coconut and stir to combine.
4) Blend in the remaining half of the flour and coconut. Spoon mixture into 10 cupcake liners and insert into the muffin tins. If not using paper liner, grease the muffin tin. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut on top of each muffin.
5) Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

Makes 10 Muffins


No comments:

Sitemeter