Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lemon & Coconut Cake


Oh Spring, why art thou so lovely and brutal at the same time? My seasonal allergies have been slowing me down big time! Watery and itchy eyes with a runny nose just makes life miserable. Simply rubbing my nose dry, so to speak! As age catches up, I feel I am  more susceptible to these type of seasonal allergies and any allergens can trigger something in me. Oh how I envy those people who can enjoy the spring air out there without any glitch or sneeze.

Notice that I have done less of cooking and baking compared to last year? Perhaps I have diverted my attention to something else or perhaps my successful weight loss have more or less curbed my appetite for all things fried, sweet and fattening. Not that I totally cut out everything but the urge to overdo with the butter, oil and cheese is just not so overbearing already and I tend to eat with a conscious mind taking notes of the high and low calories of the food. Infact I am shifting my interest from cooking magazines to fashion magazines. Oh how Vain.... but the idea in my head is still the same, only shifting attention from beautiful cakes to lovely dresses.

For a lovely cool spring day (minus the allergies), I thought of coconut and its fragrant nutty aroma. I bought a pack of toasted dried coconut flakes long time ago and only now I figured on what to do with it. Coconut flesh comes mostly in the dried and vacum packed form here, either cut to big flakes or produced into almost powder dessicated form. For this recipe I used the dried strands type which bakes beautifully with the cake batter and lends a crunch to the moist and tangy cake itself. This recipe was reduced to yield a serving for 6 only so that I don't get too much to eat while relishing every bite. I maintain the idea that you can have your cake and eat it too..... only that you don't have to eat too much of anything.


Recipe
Ingredients
60g Softened Butter
115g Low Fat sour cream
130g All Purpose flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp salt
110g Sugar
1 large Egg
50ml fresh lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp Vanilla paste
30g toasted coconut shred
30g Brown sugar

Method
1. Grease a small loaf pan & preheat oven to 350F. 
2. Sift the flour together with the baking soda and salt.
3. In Another bowl, beat the butter and sugar till creamy. Add in the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla paste and beat to combine. The mixture will look like a mess and not smooth.
4. Spoon half of the flour into the butter mixture, fold in to combine.
5. Spoon in the sour cream next and stir to mix. Lastly fold in the remaining half of the flour.
6. Spoon batter into the greased pan.
7. Mix the brown sugar together with the coconut shred. Sprinkle onto the surface of the cake batter. Press gently down so the coconut shred stick to the top of the cake batter.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 mins.
9. Let the cake cool inside the pan for 10 mins, remove and cool completely before serving.

Serves: 6

No comments:

Sitemeter