Happy Easter! As with the idea of Easter, I pray for peace and respect among mankind. Seems difficult to attain with the ever growing greed for power, status and unrests all over the world these days. But I believe if one does good, a chain effect always ensues. Although my kids don't really grasp the real meaning of Easter yet besides the bunny and eggs, it is a sure way to talk to them about religions, hopes and teachings.
As with every Easter, we have potluck gathering with our friends, followed by the Easter egg hunt. Dampened with rain this year, the eggs were hidden in the basement! Anyway, it was fun. For the dessert, I made this cheesecake. I have lost count on how many cheesecakes I have made this year but each and every one that I made deserved mention and a part in this blog! I just love these group of cakes,whatever you throw in with the cheese mixture, baked or chilled..... it just gets cheesier everytime (in the yummy sense)!
I used Ricotta cheese for this one. The texture was not as smooth and velvety as in using cream cheese, but equally hefty and lovely in taste. It has a more curd like texture and bite and for people who doesn't really go for the stronger smell of cheese, Ricotta is the best substitute. Heavy cream was added for the in-depth flavor. Strawberries and pistahio nuts are the decorative accents on the top while the main flavor of the cake itself is Vanilla. I put it 2 tbsp of Vanilla paste and a few drops of lime juice. I used less sugar for this cheesecake but this can always be sweetened more with powdered sugar sprinkled on top just before serving.
15 pieces of Honey Graham crackers, crushed to crumbs
100g Melted Butter
475g Skimmed Ricotta cheese
200ml Heavy Cream
3 eggs, large
100g Regular sugar (for sweeter cake , use 150g or more)
2 tbsp vanilla Paste
2 tbsp Lime juice
8 to 10 strawberries, hulled and sliced, fanned out
60g Pistachio nuts, chopped roughly
2 tbsp Strawberry jam
1. Mix the honey graham crackers crumbs with the melted butter.
2. Pat the crumbs into an 8 inch springform round cake pan. Set aside.
1. Heat the oven to 350F.
2. Beat the egg with the sugar till it is not grainy anymore.
3. Add in the Heavy cream and beat for 30 seconds.
4. Spoon in the Ricotta cheese, Vanilla paste and Lime juice and fold in to combine thoroughly with the egg & cream mixture. Pour the batter onto the base crust inside the springform pan.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 mins. The cake is done when it is set. Turn off the oven and let the cheesecake cool completely inside the oven for 1 hour.
6. Remove and garnish with the strawberry slices. Heat the strawberry jam and brush as glaze onto the strawberries slices . Sprinkle with the Pistachio nuts. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight before serving.
7. If not sweet enough,sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Serves : 8