Egg Tofu is basically tofu made with added egg in its making. Back in Malaysia we called this "Japanese Tofu" as the Chinese Tofu is simply made from soy milk, processed from soy beans soaked in water and added with coagulating agents. I like both types but this egg added version can only be bought at bigger Asian groceries and whenever I go down to Chinatown, I will get 2 packs or more. Slightly more pricey than the usual block tofu but flavorful with the egg and with silky smooth texture. These tofu comes in Tube packaging, weighing about 250g for each tube and yellowish in color.
Cooking method for this tofu is the same as the plain tofu and good as a vegetarian choice for the added egg protein. As with any tofu, this egg tofu will taste better if cooked together with other ingredients and served with some sauce. I am not a very big fan of gravy and so I opted for a slightly wet beef mixture with oyster flavored sauce. You can add more water to the beef during the cooking if you like. This dish is best served hot with white rice.
250g Egg Tofu (1 Tube), cut into disks, about 1/2 inch (yields up to 15 disks)
250g Minced Beef or pork or Chicken
100g Enoki or Small mushrooms
1 small Shallot, minced
2 pips of garlic, minced
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Corn flour
1 tbsp Oyster flavored sauce
3 to 4 tbsp water
scallion for garnish
2 to 3 tbsp corn flour (for coating)
1. Marinate the minced meat with the salt, white pepper, sesame oil and corn flour. Stir to mix thoroughly and let it sit in the fridge for 20 mins.
2. Heat a frying pan with 3 tbsp cooking oil. Coat the tofu disks in the corn flour. Pan fry them for 3 mins, turn and continue to pan fry the other side till slightly brown. Dish up and arrange on a large platter.
3. Using the same pan, add 1/2 tbsp to the same frying pan. Put in the minced shallot & garlic and let them sizzle and fry for 30 seconds. Add in the minced meat and stir to mix in. Add in the oyster flavored sauce and water, cover and let it simmer for 7 mins, stirring occasionally.
4. Add in the mushroom and stir to mix. Cover and let simmer for another 3 mins.
5. Spoon up and pour over the arranged tofu. Sprinkle with chopped scallion and Serve immediately with rice.
Serves : 3 person