I have been following the news on Japan's earthquake & Tsunami for the past weekend and I felt really sorry for the people there. It is true when nature unleashes its wrath, it doesn't hold back and seeing the devastation on TV and how all of it unfolded to the latest images of wreckage and sorrow looming, all I can think of now is life is really precious and everyday counts. You never know where and when will be your last day and the only thing you can do is live everyday to the fullest. Love your spouse, kids, parents, siblings dearly.
It is another Monday and I dare not complain anymore. The clock has changed and everyone feels the lack of sleep effect and myself too, feeling lethargic and a bit out of focus. A bit cold today despite the spring atmosphere and I just felt like baking something that is simple and easy. My kids are spoiled with many types of fruits and when all they see are apples, kiwi and mangoes, they will never ask for the banana. With 2 left on the countertop and turning very soft and ripe, I made up a Banana Bread with Oat added. This recipe yields a small loaf which cuts into 6 to 8 slices and lovely served warm and on the day it is made.
125g All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp Salt
60g butter, cold malleable
50g Light Brown sugar
1 Large egg
2 very Ripe bananas (use 5 if baby bananas), mashed
25g rolled Oat & 2 tbsp extra for sprinkles on top of loaf
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a small loaf pan.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda & salt together. Stir in the rolled oat to mix.
3. In another bowl, beat the butter with the brown sugar till creamy. Beat in the egg. Lastly fold in the mashed banana to combine.
4. Pour the flour & oat mixture into the butter & banana mixture. Fold in to mix. Pour this into the greased pan. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tbps rolled oat on top.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 mins. Check doneness with toothpick.
6. Turn off oven and leave the loaf inside the oven for 5 mins to firm up.
7. Remove from oven and cool on rack.
Serves: 3 to 4 (cuts to 6 to 8 slices)