Saturday, March 26, 2011

Asparagus Cauliflower & Bell Pepper Whole Wheat Tartlets

I have been cleaning out stuffs from my kitchen. All this time I have accumulated alot of things from cookie cutters, pans to all sorts of tools and gadgets that I am simply overwhelmed with everytime I take them out to  re-arrange the whole cupboard. This year, I am not skeptical anymore to let go of things that I seldom or never use as the clutter has got to me and affecting my efficiency in the kitchen, not mentioning building stress in my head everytime I cannot look for space to store them. Possibly it was an Epiphany or the fear in me after watching a few episodes of Hoarding:  Buried Alive! There are simply too many things in this little house of mine and perhaps some are not meant to be and needed to be discarded or given away so that I can gain my space and sanity back!

As with the spring cleaning, I didn't have much energy nor mood to cook the whole week but these Tartlets of which I made today for a light Saturday dinner.With one kid sick, there was absolutely no where to go and so what better to de-stress than bake something simple and delicious for a quiet weekend night in. With a glass of Pinot Grigio, I am happy already. Oh yes, throw in a few Episodes of the Korean Drama I am currently hooked on to, who needs going out!

These Tartlets are very simple to make and you can substitute any vegetables that you have on hand. I used Asparagus as it is in season now and they are really tender and exceptionally lovely with a slight sweetness after baking. For a reason, I really like cauliflower and my kids love it too.  Perhaps too much of broccoli, the taste and color of the white cauliflower is a welcome change. And I find myself starting to like Bell pepper alot despite professing my detest for it since young! Perhaps the green one is the obnoxious smelling one but I love this orange one, and also the red and yellow types. I added 2 tbsp of low fat Ricotta cheese to give the egg custard more body with a slight sweet flavor.Other than that, no cheese nor flour required. This recipe can be made into a 6 or 8 inches tart size (depending on the thickness of the tart crust).  I made it into 8 smaller tartlets measuring slightly less than 4 inches each, which took about 35 mins to bake. The egg filling resembles a firm custard and lovely served warm. I like to use whole wheat flour in most of my baking now as it renders a more flaky crust in tarts and of course for health reasons in terms of breads. I added some All purpose flour for a bit of structure to the crust and rolled out the tartlet cases thinly.



Recipe

Ingredients

Tartlet Cases
100g  Whole Wheat Flour
50g All Purpose Flour
85g cold butter pieces
1 large egg

Filling
100g Cauliflower, cut into smaller florets
75g Red or Yellow Bell Pepper, julienned & halved
75g Asparagus (about 8 stalks) , cut into 2 inches length
2 large eggs
2 tbsp Ricotta Cheese
150ml Heavy Cream
Salt & Pepper

Method
Tartlet Cases
1)Stir the 2 types of flour together. Put it into the food processor with the butter pieces and pulse briefly just to mix. Beat in the egg till the ingredients come together, do not overmix.
2)Grease one 6 or 8 inches pan or small tartlet pans.
3)Take out the dough and roll out on a floured surface.To line a 6 inch, you can roll it thicker while an 8 inch pan will yield a thinner crust. Patch up any left over onto the lined pans as this dough is pretty easy to work with.
4)Place the lined pans in the freezer for about 20mins.Heat the oven to 400F.
5)When the oven is ready,  take out the lined pans, poke the bottom with fork and bake for 10 mins. Take out and let it stand while prepping the filling. Turn down the oven to 375F.

Filling
1)Beat the eggs with the Heavy Cream and Ricotta Cheese to mix. Season with salt & pepper.
2)Arrange all 3 vegetables into each of the tartlet pans or scatter randomly into the 6 or 8 inch pans.
3)Slowly spoon the egg & cream filling into the tartlet pans. Leave some of the vegetables revealing for a nice presentation.
4)Bake at 375F for 35 mins for tartlets, 45 mins on the 6 or 8 inches tart pans. When the time is up, turn off the oven and let the tartlets sit inside the oven for another 10 mins. This will dry up excess moisture in the crust.
5)Serve warm with your favorite soup.

Makes: 8 small 3.5 inches tartlets/6 inch/8 inch tart

1 comment:

Cooking Gallery said...

The tartlets look so gorgeous and mouthwatering...I wish I could try one :)! Have a lovely weekend.

Sitemeter