Friday, February 11, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread


All this time I have only used white Bread flour for all my bread baking. But after eating more hearty breads like whole grain, oat, nut and rye from store bought breads, I have grown to like whole meal bread. To the ever die hard fans of white soft bread, whole meal taste grainy and the texture is coarse. However, white bread lacks the substantial heartiness bite that a whole meal slice has and more often turns soggy fast if packed in a chilled container lunch box.

With a new year and the ever professed resolution of eating healthy, I am planning to use more whole wheat and other types of flour to make my breads and buns. There are plenty of varieties in the market now and easily accessible. I particularly like to try out products from one particular Manufacturer first and if one product is good, I will move on to the next one. Recently I have grown to like Bob's Red Mill products and love to browse through its collection of natural food products, with the most recent Gluten Free items. There are so many types of flour that I can use besides the white Bread flour and I am so looking forward to try out everything.


My first attempt was a failure or rather lack of patience on my part that the bread dough didn't expand nor rise even after 3 hours. I made another batch after reading the difference of using White and Whole Wheat flour from the internet and got it right. The thing with whole wheat flour is that it is very resilient and requires more liquid in its mixture to form the proper gluten. And the yeast must first be dissolved in warm water before adding to the flour. One thing extra that I added to the dough here was wheat gluten, which is recommended most for whole wheat breads to sustain better rising and softer texture. The bread turned out perfect!

Recipe
Ingredients
420g Whole Wheat Flour
2 tbsp Wheat Gluten
1 tsp salt
3 tsp Dry yeast
375ml warm water
2 tbsp honey
30g  butter, melted

Method
1)Sift the flour, wheat gluten and salt into a bowl.
2)Dissolve the yeast in 125ml warm water.
3)Pour into the flour mixture and let the knead attachment of your mixer combine the mixture for 2 mins.
4)Add in the honey and the remaining of the warm water and continue to knead till well combined, about 3 mins. The dough will form and come together.
5)Lastly pour in the melted butter and continue to knead for another 1 min.
6)Remove dough and knead on a lightly floured surface, shape into a loaf or dinner rolls. Place in greased pans. Cover with cling film and let the shaped dough rise for 1 hour in a warm dark place. 
7)Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Bake for 30 to 35 mins until top is brown. Cool and place in airtight container.

Makes 1 loaf or 10 to 12 dinner rolls


1 comment:

Cooking Gallery said...

Wow...you can bake really well...!! I am absolutely a noob in baking. The only things I am confident to bake are cookies ;).

Sitemeter