Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tyson Cornish Hen

Having a family of 2 adults and 2 young kids don't really give me much room for cooking with a big chicken for dinner. As I like to cook everything from scratch and not a particular big fan of leftovers from dinner to lunch or the other way round, I prefer to cook small amount of everything so that my family can finish everything in one meal time and leave me a neat and clean fridge every morning I open it to search for my butter spread & jam!

I came to notice this Cornish Hen marketed by Tyson a year ago in my groceries in the frozen section, separate from the usual chicken and meat counter. Curious as always, I picked up a packet of 2 for the same price of a 4lbs regular chicken. One of this Cornish Hen weighs the most at 2lbs, which is a very good serving of roast chicken for 1 big appetite person or one meal for a small family like mine. As I am Asian Chinese, I usually cook more than 1 dish for dinner to complement our staple rice, so one Cornish hen is really enough to fill up the protein side. Or when hubby is out of town, all I had to do is either steam or make soup with the hen and my kids are good for the day.

As explained in Wikipedia, the Cornish hen is a specially cross breed chicken, specifically breed for its smaller size within a shorter period compared to the regular chicken in the market. In terms of taste, I actually find it better especially in stews and soups, yielding a clear broth with the flavor of mild sweetness and succulent white meat. And also it took shorter time to cook, and easy to cut and serve up. In my plan to eat better and hopefully less meat, I like the serving size of this Cornish hen and without much fat lodge within its meat, I feel healthier scooping up the dark meat part.

So far I have boiled, roasted and braised the chicken. Same cooking method as with a regular chicken, I just needed to adjust the timing in cooking and the amount of seasonings. There is nothing that I don't like about this ingredient and my family loves the taste too. Although priced at $1.69 per lb at my grocery store compared to a regular chicken at $0.99 per lb, I buy it for its size and easy prepping. No giblets included.

Cornish Hen Soup with Lotus Root & Shredded Lettuce

No comments:

Sitemeter