Sunday, February 27, 2011

Prune Scone

Ah.... the last Sunday of February! Not that I want to grow old fast nor want to see the days go by very fast, but January and February are just the months when I am pretty down with the cold weather and nothing seems to work smoothly. With spring on the way, I feel life is getting better again, with expectation of shrubs and greens coming out, piled up snow and ice melting away and the days welcoming the sun again for longer hours.

Tonight will be the 2011 Oscar's night where all the stars will be strutting in their best gowns, donned with to die for jewelleries while blowing kisses and waving and flashing to the cameras. Perhaps the cooking world is just so in tuned with everything these days and everything seems to be relative to cooking and entertaining, I see the buzz of cooking for the Oscar party in alot of the cooking websites. Really? I am just grabbing a bottle of white wine with crackers and cheese to go along with my gawking at those Oscar De La Renta gowns and the ever slick black & white dressed Hollywood men. And in particular, the ever dashing Colin Firth...yes, I watched him since his first BBC role as Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice and find him absolutely the perfect English gentleman. I sure hope he wins!

Ok, back to my reality world....  I made some scone today. Not just any scone, but with chopped Prunes added to it and made up of the soy yogurt that I just bought and curious to try out. There are so many new products in the grocery aisle these days and so little chance nor time for me to try out everything. I have always used Sour Cream in my baking and yogurt comes second. Haven't tried buttermilk yet but will do one day. My point is I try to incorporate butter as less as possible and opt for fat free sour cream, yogurt and buttermilk to make up the fat and moisture in my baked goods.

This recipe is pretty easy but a bit messy to work with your hands. Prepare an extra bowl of flour on the side as you work on patting the dough. Don't be shy with the extra sprinkling as the dough is really wet and the good thing about scone is you need the flour coating on the outside and it doesn't really matter how much you sprinkle on it. I sprinkled on some lavendar onto the shaped and cut dough prior to baking for an extra 'uumph' .

Recipe
Ingredients
300g All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 tsp salt
75g cold butter, cut into small pieces
250ml Low fat Yogurt
200g Dried Prunes, cut to small pieces
1 Tbsp dried Lavendar
Milk

How to Make It
1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Sprinkle a rectangular pan with all Purpose flour and tap out the excess.
2. Put the flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, salt and sugar into the food processor. Pulse for 5 seconds to mix. Drop in the butter pieces and pulse for 10 seconds to combine.
3. Drop in the dried prunes and pulse for another 10 seconds.
4. Pour in the yogurt and pulse to combine into a messy dough, 15 seconds.
5. Sprinkle work surface and hands with flour. Pour out the whole messy dough onto the working surface and gather all loose dough together and pat down to form a disk. Cut up the disk like a pizza into 8 pieces and place into the rectangular pan. Doesn't matter if they touch each other, random placing is fine.
6. Brush some milk onto each piece, sprinkle with the Lavendar and Bake for 20 mins. Turn off the oven and leave inside the oven for an extra 5 mins to dry out.
7. Serve warm on its own or with your favorite jam.

Makes 8 slices

1 comment:

Cooking Gallery said...

I have never tried scones in my life (what a shame I know), but it really looks and sounds delicious. I really have to try it one day!!

Sitemeter