Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cream of Corn Soup

Disappearing from my blog for about 3 weeks was not my intended idea. But winter weather has been brutal to everyone and I simply got lazy and no idea on what to cook, bake nor blog about for some time. Unable or rather lazy to go out and search for a right lamp for my pictures, the early sunset meant I only have morning to mid day to do pictures.

This is my kids favorite dish and I like to make it as it is very quick to put together and a very filling soup. They can have it everyday if I allow them. So far, I have used the original Del Monte cream of corn and other generic brands from my neighborhood groceries and still find that Del Monte is thicker and more flavorful.

You can opt to put anything into this soup but I like the imitation crab meat as it gives the soup the Umami flavor since I used only plain water for the base. The soup is thickened with cornstarch and served together with rice. The addition of a beaten egg gives the soup a better presentation coupled with chopped scallion.

Recipe

Ingredients
1 can of Cream of Corn
1750ml/3-1/2 cups water
200g minced pork/beef
2 sticks of imitation crab meat
75g frozen peas
2 tbsp cornflour mixed with 4 tbsp water
1 egg, beaten
salt & white pepper
chopped scallions

Method
1)Boil the water till rolling boil. Put in the imitation crab meat and minced meat. Let simmer for 7 to 10 mins.
2)Add in the whole can of the cream of corn, stir and let it simmer for 3 mins. Add in the peas and let it cook for another 3 mins. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and let it simmer for 1 min.
3)Lastly, pour in the beaten egg in a stream and stir to create a swirl. Cook for 1 min and turn off.  Season with salt and pepper to the desired taste. Serve.

Serves : 3 person

1 comment:

terri@adailyobsession said...

YUM. love it too although my kids don't, i don't know why :(. how r u?

Sitemeter