Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thyme Corn Bread

My first taste of Cornbread was at one of those big chain eateries which served them as the appetizer dinner bread. It was not a good impression as the texture was so dry that I choked on a clump and had to wash it down my throat! Second time round in another eatery, I tasted their corn bread and I loved it! Besides being moist, there was a slight sweetness to this bread that makes it so tempting, especially when I had to wait forever for the server to bring my main dish order! What I like about it is the coarse texture,  resulted from the mealy corn meal itself together with the subtle sweetness in the added sugar that seems to accentuate the scent of corn in the corn meal itself. The texture of this bread is simply homey, meaning that it resembles the home baking that your grandma make, no fuss and no frills, just plain good thing out of the oven, fresh and fulfilling! 

I wanted to make this for a long time and even bought a box of yellow cornmeal last October! With all the holidays around then, the box got shifted and hidden at the end of the pantry cupboard and I went nuts searching for it today. You know the feeling you get when you think you did bought something and yet cannot find it in your grocery bag or kitchen? As I was short of time almost everyday with tight schedules ruled by my kids schools and activities, I almost gave up the idea! Despite my bakings and blogging, I do these only when time permits and I was glad I found the cornmeal and made this within 1 hour from mixing to baking. My kids are not picky eaters but they always look forward to after school snack time for special treats and they actually liked this cornbread. The only thing is they have to eat it with a large plate to catch all the crumbs!


Recipe
Ingredients
130g All Purpose Flour
130g Yellow Corn Meal
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 egg
75ml Vegetable or Corn oil
120g low fat Sour Cream
225 ml low fat milk
50g corn niblets
1 tbsp fresh Thyme

How to Make It
1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease a large loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, stir the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and the Thyme together. Reserve some Thyme for sprinkles.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg lightly and add in the vegetable/corn oil and beat for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and the sour cream next. Stir in the corn niblets.
4. Spoon the flour and cornmeal mixture into the milk mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into greased pan. Sprinkle the remaining Thyme onto the batter.
5. Bake on the lower rack for 30 mins. Let bread cool in loaf pan for 10 mins after removing from oven and cut and serve. Eat within 2 days.

Serves: 6 persons


No comments:

Sitemeter