Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pumpkin Seed & Black Sesame seed Bread

I bought a pack of roasted pumpkin seeds last month with the hope of using it in my bread making. Haven't been active in anything besides making Bento and still I haven't attempted any new recipes of bread. This summer had been great and I hope to pick up my bread making from today as I am really finding store bought breads are getting tasteless these days! And I am more aware now about the types of flour available in the market and my first step on baking and eating healthy is buying unbleached flour. And also I hope to use other types of flour to produce more interesting flavored breads.

I used my old recipe but tweaked some of the ingredients and their quantities. This bread dough recipe  requires a short time in proofing and must be made fresh or proofed covered in the refrigerator if done overnight. Because of the high quantity in yeast to the ratio of the flour, the bread can smell funny if over-proofed. For this recipe, I used almond milk rather than ordinary dairy milk for the main reason we don't drink dairy milk anymore in my household. But I think I would prefer to use dairy milk with a little fat content that makes the texture of the bread even softer. I brushed milk on the bread before and during the baking and I find that over numerous times, milk produce a more crustier crust than egg wash. As for this bread, as soon as it came out of the oven, the crust was pretty hard to the touch but after cooling for 15 mins, it softened but still crusty to easily break apart.


Ingredients :
3 cups Bread Flour
1 tbsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 cup Almond milk or dairy milk, warm
1 large egg, beaten
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp toasted black sesame seed
3 tbsp toasted pumpkin seed
extra milk for glaze

Method :
1)Prepare 2 small loaf tins and grease them with butter. Stir the bread flour together with the yeast and sugar in a mixer bowl.
2)Attach the hook on the mixer on medium speed and add in the warm milk. Let it churn for 1 min.
3)Add in the egg next and let it churn for another 1 min.
4)Lastly add in the butter and let the mixture knead for 5 mins till it forms a dough.
5)Shape dough into a ball and cover with cling wrap and let it proof for 1 hour maximum.
6)Remove dough and divide into 2 equal half. Take one half and put the other one back to the bowl and covered.
7)Divide one half of the dough into 4 equal parts. Using a small rolling pin, roll out slightly to an oval shape bigger than your own palm. Sprinkle some black sesame seeds on the surface, turn around and sprinkle some on the other side. Take one edge, slowly roll  up to form a rolled blanket with sides slightly patted in and place into greased small loaf pans. Continue with the rest of the bread dough. One loaf tin should be able to contain 4 rolls.
8)Cover each loaf tin loosely with cling film, and let it proof for a further 30 mins, maximum.
9)Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Brush the breads with some milk and pat in the pumpkin seeds on top.
10)Bake for 20 mins, with 12 mins into baking, take out the breads and brush with milk wash again. Return to oven and finish off baking.
11)Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 mins. Remove and cool completely on rack.
12)Tear apart or cut to slices, serve with butter .

Makes: 2 small loaves

No comments:

Sitemeter