Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Onion & Scallion Wings

When I first started my cooking journey, I never thought it was difficult. Regardless of a recipe calling for hours to simmer or stew, piles of ingredients to slice, chop and mince, steps to follow and avoid, I will cook or bake whatever that fancies my eyes and tempt my appetite. In fact I still don't mind losing myself and spending time in my humble little kitchen stirring up and firing up the best I can do as long as no other human beings walk in and out bothering me or I am short of time.

Having said that, the reality now is that I have alot of tasks on hand and with 2 growing kids who constantly require different attention and seem to hover around the kitchen more than anywhere else, I am cooking up more simple and speedy dishes these days.

It was still very hot today and I am starting to wonder if the summer heat is ever going away. And so I made up something very simple and quick for dinner. I dissected and marinated a few chicken wings, sliced up half of a large yellow onion, cut up some large scallion leaves together with its white peppery & fragrant white root part and heated up the frying pan. My favorite part of the chicken meat is the wings and I am not a very big fan of the drumstick. I like the fat on the wings that exudes itself when cooked, especially deep fried and also pan fried. It is best to dissect the wings into parts for easier eating. The onion added crunch and I always love its natural sweetness complementing any savory dishes. The scallion were cut about 1 to 2 inches long and added at the last 2 minutes of cooking to retain its color and shape.


Recipe

Ingredients :
5 chicken wings (all dissected into 3 parts)
1 small knob of ginger, grated (about 2 tbsp)
1/2 yellow or white onion ( sliced thickly)
2 large scallion leaves (cut into 1 inches parts & retain the white bulb part)
1-1/2 tbsp Dark soy sauce
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tbsp sesame oil

Method :
1)Marinate the wings with the grated ginger,dark soy sauce, soy sauce, pepper and sesame oil. Marinate for 30 mins.
2)Heat the pan with 1 tbsp cooking oil. Saute the onion for 2 mins. Turn up the heat and add in the wings, retaining the marinate liquid aside. Mix the wings into the onion and lie each wings and parts separate from each other and pan fry for 5 mins on one side. Turn down the heat to medium.
3)Flip the wings and parts to the other side and drizzle in the marinate liquid and 2 tbsp of water. Cover the pan with lid and let it cook through for another 7 mins.
4)Sprinkle in the scallion, close the lid and let it cook for another 2 mins. Turn off heat and let it sit for 3 mins.
5)Dish up and serve.

Serves : 4 person (side dish)

No comments:

Sitemeter