Monday, July 26, 2010

Diet & Exercise (Pt.2)

When comes to weight loss, how much is enough? Is it ever enough or forever not enough? I am in that limbo now as I feel that I cannot stop losing and always wanting to see the numbers drop on the weighing scale.

Almost completing my 7 months of intense exercise regime on the treadmill with reduced food amount intake, my initial target of 20lbs had been reached and now I am going for a maximum of 15lbs more. Despite my gung-ho attitude, I admit that when I first started, I feared that I will give up and set out to disappoint again. Between the exercise and diet, the former was excruciating to live with in the first few months and pushing the momentum from a mere 100 Kcals at the slow pace of 2.8 miles per hour to a 300 Kcals walk at a higher pace of 3.5 miles per hour nearly made my heart pop out of my body! Literally speaking, there is really no pain , no loss in terms of exercise. And now able to do 500 Kcals at the faster pace of 4.5 miles per hour, there is nothing I fear anymore. It is amazing how a transformation in one's body size can also trigger a change of perception of things in the mind. When I compared my old photos and my real image now, I wondered how did I do it and now I really believe that we can take charge on how our body becomes and it took me all these years to realize that I was so in denial then!

These days, I frown everytime I hear a comment that a dress is cute and one should buy it. Hey, yes the dress is cute, but on an overweight body, it won't serve its purpose. I will never ever laugh at fat people since I have been one before but I cannot help thinking on how uncomfortable it is to move around with all the excess bulge and feel thankful that I realized in time before getting to the stage of obesity.

So, what is my next plan? When I reached my first plateau effect last month at my 18lbs mark, I nearly give up. It took a whole 3 weeks to recharge again and convince my body that I still need to gather my inner strength to go on losing. The body has a life of its own, and as they say, it has a memory and exercise and diet patterns needed to be changed in order to jolt the muscles and awake them to work again. Sounds very Frankenstein but very true! What I did was  increased the exercise amount and changed to a diet higher in protein of salmon and occasional chicken meat with high intake of fruits and vegetables. I hate fad diets and cannot seem to follow any and instead of following blindly on other people's plans, I went and figured out on what to eat and how to exercise. As Jillian Michaels said, all you need to do is to convince yourself to do it with intensive workout and eat well. And counting calories is the best method! And now the pounds are disappearing again. And I am planning to increase to 700 Kcal loss per day as I am pretty comfortable at the 500 Kcals stage now. The idea is to pump up the heart rate and feel the effect of muscles tension everywhere.

Someone asked me if I will live like this for the rest of my life, giving up on good food indulgence and making every bite a calorie counting moment! To me, this is a lifestyle change that I am adapting to for the rest of my life and sure I can indulge if I want to, but being more selective rather than acting on greediness and the glutton appetite for every morsels and tit bits can be workable. Buffets will be erased from my kind of eating and quality really matters more than quantity. And skipping today's exercise means I have to do double  tomorrow. That is my motivation to get on the treadmill everyday.

New batch of food that I find helpful: canned salmon in spinach wrap with baby tomatoes; grapefruit and pears. Steamed Broccoli and whole wheat bread. And powdered drinks of a mixture of black rice and black sesame seeds.


3 comments:

Bento Box / Asfora said...

Congratulations on your weight loss Lily, this is amazing! And you are and inspiration to me to get back on my cross trainer!

Lily Anette said...

Asfora: Thanks for the encouraging spirit! You go girl. All you need is determination and perseverance! :)

terri@adailyobsession said...

happy for you tt you're successful in loosing weight n keeping ur weight down. i lost 2 kgs during the 2 1/2 months in europe but now have gained 1/2 kg n i have to be careful. it's so hard to loose weight here bc we drive instead of walk. so really, if we make lifestyle cahnges like eating less n walking more, we can keep the scale from tipping.

Sitemeter