Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Strawberry & Pistachio Sour Cream Scones


With the abundance of strawberries we picked yesterday and another trip planned to another farm this weekend, I need to make use of the fruit as soon as possible when they are the freshest and juiciest! Every year, I go overboard in picking every type of summer fruits available in the local farms and end up eating them till my family and I say to each other we had enough this year. And yet come winter time, I go crazy again longing for the spring and summer months! That just tells me that I should never complain about too much when I am blessed with a good summer weather, nearby local farms to forage my summer fruits supply and a standby oven to bake with them! 

On a mid week day, I tend to go for something fast to put together and very easy to bake. My kids are always hungry for something to eat at teatime and once a week I bake them something small and special. I thought of scones for a long time, ever since I started picking blueberries years ago but never got around to making them as I was more blinded with fancy mousse cakes then! As if my baking repertoire ages with my mind & soul, these days I am really back to basics in terms of types of cakes, biscuits and bread that I want to make. Simple and quick, with a touch of loveliness is all I am going to bake this year!

For these scones, I baked the strawberries right into the scone batter itself and scattered crushed pistachio on the outside to give the traditional scone a little color and added texture. In a way, these scones are good eaten by itself and need no extra butter or jam with it. The strawberries must still be slightly firm to the touch and not too ripe as it tends to get too mushy during the baking. I cut them into small pieces and dropped and folded them into the dough at the last step as to prevent the mixing from squishing the strawberries. I always think pistachio has the loveliest green color and on these scones, it added a color of summer to it. If I ever to choose to paint something green, I will definitely go for pistachio green paint!


Recipe :
Ingredients:
300g All purpose Flour
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
75g fresh strawberries, cut to small pieces
25g shelled pisctachio, grounded to coarse texture
75g cold butter, cut to cubes
225ml low fat sour cream
Some milk

Method :
1)Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Arrange the racks from the lowest bottom and sprinkle flour on 2 large baking pans.
2)Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar together. Place this mixture into the food processor and drop in the butter pieces. Process the content till the mixture comes together in loose crumbs (about 1 minute).
3)Heat the sour cream gently, just to make it runny. Remove from the stove, spoon in some of the flour butter mixture into the sour cream and stir to mix. Take this mixture and pour into the remaining flour butter mixture and using the spatula to mix in till a clumpy mess. Drop in the strawberry pieces and gently fold to mix. Do not overblend.
4)Sprinkle some flour on the working surface and flour your hands. Scoop out half of the dough. Pat it down slightly on the working surface and gather the sides so the thickness is even throughout the dough (about 1 inch). Using a 4cm (about 2 inch) size biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and transfer to the baking pans, leaving a space of 2 inches between each. Use a cookie scraper to lift the cut out rounds if it is a bit sticky to move with your hands. Continue with the remaining batch of dough.
5)Brush the rounds with milk and sprinkle the crushed pistachio on top.
6)Bake for 15 to 17 mins.  Remove from the pans and cool on cooling racks or serve warm with strawberry jam and good butter.

Makes : 20 scones


1 comment:

that's me said...

love your recipes lily
one question?, could I use more baking powder instead the baking soda??

Sitemeter