Monday, June 7, 2010

Sticky Rice

Seems that I haven't made anything nice for dinner for a long time! I admit that I am more caught up on baking cakes and breads rather than trying out new dishes with my pots and pans. Only when I get fed up with cooking the same dishes night after night and day after days I get my recipe books out and look through them.

There is always one ingredient that every Asian and Chinese household must have in their kitchen, rice! And trust me, as of now, I think I have 5 types of rice in my house and since I have stopped eating rice at dinnertime to control my intake of carbs, there is a surplus of every kind! Besides the jasmine and sushi rice, I think I use this glutinous rice the least and thought about this dish today which is very easy to cook for a lazy summer day.

Glutinous rice contains more starch than usual rice and when it is cooked with the right amount of water, they become sticky and clumps up together. This is Miss E's favorite rice dish and yet she will never take rice congee. Chicken can be substituted for the pork and I used 3 cups of water to cook the rice for a more softer and mushy texture but if anyone fancies a more firmer bite of the rice, the amount of water can be reduced to 2-1/2 cups instead. I cooked the fillings and the rice in a pot first before transferring it to the rice cooker with the water content to completely cook it. You can surely cook this in the same pot over the stove with the lid half open as rice is the same with pasta, they will boil over in a closed lid pot. Just cook till the liquid has been absorbed wholly and you might get a slightly burnt crust on the bottom of the pot which adds to the flavor of the dish. This is quite similar to the Dim Sum dish of glutinous rice in Bamboo leaves in taste.




Recipe

Ingredients :
2 cups Glutinous Rice (Short Grain Sweet Rice), soaked for at least 3 hours and drained
3 chinese preserved Sausages (sliced and cut to small rounds)
1/2 red onion or 3 small shallots
1 slice of ginger, sliced thinly
200g pork sirloin, sliced thinly
4 dried shittake mushrooms, re-hydrated & sliced thinly
1/4 cup dried shrimp
1/4 cup Dark soy sauce
2 tbsp Light Soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese Cooking wine
2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice powder
1 tsp white pepper
3 cups hot and boiled water

Method :

1)Heat a large pot with 1 tbsp cooking oil. Saute the red onion and ginger for 1 minute.
2)Add in the mushroom, dried shrimp and sausages, stir to mix and cook for 5 mins. Add in the pork slices and close the lid and let it cook further for 5 mins.
3)Pour in the cooking wine and stir to mix.
4)Add in the rice and stir to mix with the other ingredients in the pot. Cover lid and let sit and cook for 5 mins.
5)Pour in the dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, 5 spice powder and white pepper. Stir thoroughly to mix. If using stove top to cook rice, pour in the hot water now and turn down the heat to low, leave the lid half closed on the pot and simmer till water is fully absorbed.
6)If using rice cooker, transfer the content of the pot to the rice cooker and fill in with the hot water. Fluff up the cooked rice before serving.

Serves: 4 to 5 person



No comments:

Sitemeter