Thursday, June 17, 2010

June Bento Days (3)


I am very hooked on the idea of having picnic with the kids and friends now as the weather has been good and cool so far. When I was a kid, my mom and my Aunt Cat took us to the beachside weekly and they would prepare fried chicken, sandwiches, cold drinks and potato chips for me and my cousins to munch on. Weather in Malaysia back then was not as hot as these days and surely I don't think my kids will enjoy picnic there in the heat reaching almost 40C everyday! When we were vacationing back there in December last year, we hit the beachside at 8am in the morning and packed up at 10am! Laughable but true...better keep it short and fun than long and dreadful!

We went strawberry, cherry and raspberry picking today and I packed a compact lunch complete with carbohydrate, protein and vitamin! Little did I realise that I have gone so health conscious now until I took the photo of these bento and realised I am imposing the idea on my kids too! Not a single piece of meat but the chocolate candy was my idea of using up left over Hershey kisses in my pantry rather than going about baking chocolate cake!

I love the mini bagels as they are so easy to eat and they come in alot of varieties. I used the whole wheat type and filled them up with egg salad which I made out of boiled egg, mayonaise, Dijon mustard, pepper, salt and cilantro. I got this long rectangular container from IKEA and it was perfect for these bagels, with each neatly tucked in and separated with parchment paper. These 2 Bento boxes content were enough for the 3 of us. With a juice box each, my kids were satisfied and happy!





No comments:

Sitemeter