Friday, May 14, 2010

Crimini Mushroom Tomato & Basil Tart

For the past month, I have cut down on baking, mostly on my determination to eat less buttery tarts and sweet cakes with cream and anything that is fattening. And I channelled the time that I have to homeschooling my kids more, taking a nap and doing more exercise time on the treadmill and yoga mat. Gradually I am getting used to this change of course but I still bake once a week to keep my interest in it. There are many phases in my life but finding the right hobby and sticking with it comes only once in a blue moon and I must not let my baking tools turn rusty and wasted! So instead of sweet creamy things, I will bake more savory stuffs now, at least I can get rid of the sugar if not the butter. At least I am trying !

For this tart, nothing complicated about it and all I wanted to do was to put my new oblong tart tin to use. I wasn't sure on how much tart dough to make for this tin and went about concocting something more than enough. I guess the dough quantity to cover a 9 inch round tart pan will suffice. I found it difficult to roll out the dough into an oblong shape and so I just patch random pieces of dough into the tin with my hands. But first I rolled out the dough on a working surface first to get an even thickness and cut them into smaller pieces and arranged and patched them all up inside the tin itself. As with all tarts, the sides will definitely shrink during baking and I made the sides extra thick. The tart case was first baked for 25 mins before I put in the filling and baked for a futher 25 mins.

I made this for dinner today , served with mushroom cream soup and salad. Very spring like!



Recipe

Ingredients:
Tart Case:
225g All purpose Flour
140g cold Butter
1 large egg

Filling:
2 large eggs
125ml heavy cream
125g sliced Crimini mushrooms
125g halved Grape/Cherry tomatoes
2 large basil leaves, julienned
salt & pepper

Method:
Tart Case:
1)Put the flour and butter in a food processor. Process till resembling coarse crumb.
2)Beat the egg slightly and pour into the butter and flour mixture, process till the crumbs form into a soft dough.
3)Butter a 9 inch round pan or oblong pan. Roll out the dough to a uniform thickness, about 1/2 inch and as large as possible. Place in round pan and pat in the sides. For oblong pan, cut out squares and take each piece and paste into the oblong pan. Emphasize more on the sides of the pan when you are patting in the dough. Prick the bottom of the case with a fork and cover with cling film. Let it rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
4)Preheat oven to 375F. Take out tart case and bake for 25 mins. Remove and cool to room temperature.

Filling:
1)Beat the eggs slightly. Mix in the heavy cream and beat to combine. Season with salt & pepper.
2)Place the cooked tart case onto another large pan. Scatter 3/4 of the mushroom and tomato pieces all over inside the case. Sprinkle in the basil leaves. Slowly pour in the egg and cream mixture.
3)Put in the remaining mushroom and tomato pieces.
4)Bake at 375F for another 25 mins till the egg and cream mixture sets.
5)Serve warm with salad.

Serves 3 to 4 person



1 comment:

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Love this rectangular pan, and the tart looks gorgeous

Sitemeter