Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Olive Red Pepper Cheese Bread

What inspired me to make this bread? Leftover black olives and half of a red pepper! And also some grated cheddar cheese. I just used the same bread dough recipe from my previous recipe and made these loaves of goodies. I wasn't sure how my kids will like it as red pepper is still a new thing to them. But the bread went down very well with them and Curry and I was only left with 3 pieces this morning from the pull apart loaves.

The texture of these breads is crusty on the outside and soft in the inside. I eliminated the egg content and applied milk with a brush towards the end of the baking to get the slight browness on the crusts. The hardest thing to me in making bread is the shaping of it. I think this will get better with more experience and ableness to judge the quantity of the dough to fit one pan. Sometimes, when too much is stuffed into a loaf pan, there are parts of the bread that have not fully risen and can cause patches of uncooked dough here and there.

Luckily these loaves turned out perfect, although the shapes of each pull apart buns from them were not so uniform. The dough was divided into 2 portions, each one rolled out to a rectangle about 1/3 inch thick. Grated cheddar cheese was then scattered all over and next went in the cut olives and red pepper chunks with some chopped dill. The amount of these ingredients should not be too much so that rolling them up and cutting them into 2 inches long sections will be easy.


Once all the filling ingredients were in place, I just rolled the bread dough up tightly, like a cinnamon roll and then cut them into sections. Each log yields 6 sections each. After the cutting, I just arranged them with the cut side facing up into the greased loaf pans and baked in a preheated 400F oven for 25 mins. Milk was brushed on top of the loaves at the last 5 mins of baking. Let cool on a rack and pull apart the sections! No knives required.

No comments:

Sitemeter