Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dill Vegetable Mini Quiche

It is definitely spring already even though the clock will change only in a week's time. The weather was beautiful throughout last week and my energy level has spiked with enthusiasm to do more things outside the house. Sadly, I have no green thumbs and dislike gardening but being able to go out and catch some sun with a short walk around the neighborhood admiring other people's efforts with their gardens is equally fun. I cannot wait to snap pictures of those spring daffodils and tulips.

With the warmer days, appetites of the palate changes too. Despite all my bakings and cooking, I am actually on a mission to lose pounds too! I was happy to have lost 8 lbs since January and am setting another 10lbs to lose for the next 3 months. 

With less need to consume meat this season, my option is vegetables. Curry has a thing for vegetables and he is always happy to stuff my fridge with more than 5 types of vegetables and fruits every week. I cannot give up meat totally but I am open to increasing the amount of fat free food categories. And one thing I cannot live without is cheese! I was in the mood of something light this teatime, savory and not sweet.  Although I didn't like capsicum/red bell pepper in the past, now that I am more conscious of what I eat, I will give it a try. For these mini quiche, I used baby tomatoes, black olive, red bell pepper and broccoli as the filling. Dill was added to the crust to give a nice touch and a good aroma to the vegetable combination. This recipe only yields 3 small tart sizes of 3.5" or 4". Quantity is my tool towards my weight goal!



Recipe

Ingredients :
Crust:
1-1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
4 tbsp butter, cold but soft enough to work with
1/4 tsp Salt
2 to 3 tbsp cold water
2 tbsp dill, chopped

Filling :
1/2 cup Broccoli Florets, break into smaller florets
1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, cut into small chunks
6 baby tomatoes, halved for each
6 black olives, halved for each
1 large egg
2/3 cup low fat milk
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (yellow)

Method :
Crust:
1)Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl.
2)With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour till resemble coarse crumbs.
3)Sprinkle in the chopped dill.
4)Spoon 2 tbsp of cold water to combine the flour mixture together. Only add the remaining 1 tbsp if the crumbs cannot be combined completely.
5)Grease 3 small tartlet pans lightly with butter. Cut out 3 parchment paper circles and leave aside. Preheat over to 375F.
6)Roll out the dough larger than the pans and cut out to line the tarts. Roll out dough for each pan to 1/3 inch thick.
7)Once the pans have been inserted with the dough, line the dough with the parchment paper circles and pour in baking beans.
8)Bake for 15 mins, remove from oven and remove the liner and baking beans and return to oven to bake for another 7 mins. Once done remove from the oven.

To Assemble :
1)Divide and scatter the broccoli, olive, bell pepper and tomato into the half baked tartlet cases.
2)Beat the egg with the milk. Pour into the tartlets till almost full. Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese all over the tartlets.
3)Put the pans into a larger baking tray to catch  any over bubbling from th baking. Bake for 35 mins.
4)Remove from oven and let the quiche cool in their pans for 10 mins before removing them. Serve warm.

No comments:

Sitemeter