Sunday, January 17, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcake

Me and my new resolutions. Ya right! By the look of that cupcake, who am I kidding right?
All the initial thoughts of calories and pounds aside, I really am serious going on a healthier eating and exercise regime. But even the diet gurus and experts said "Reward yourself Once in a While" . I agree 100%, I will skip a dinner meal or two and an extra 15 mins on the threadmill to make up for the calories I taken in with this lovely reward that I made for teatime today!
Red Velvet cupcakes are named aptly for their deep red hue, made up of cocoa powder with a little red coloring added to the cake batter. I thought this will be a lovely idea for Valentine's day and I would like to thank my Auntie Cat who bought me boxes of lovely royal icing rose buds and pretty daisies during my vacation back home in Malaysia. The rosebuds sit pretty well on this cupcake and I shall leave the pretty daisies for my spring cupcakes. I also dropped in a non pareil pearl to add a lovely accent and shall I say 'a touch of class' . Pearls are my favorite. Very simple and yet outstanding in looks!


I adapted this recipe from allrecipes.com and adjusted the amount of the ingredients to yield only 4 cupcakes, one each for the people in my household. On my healthy track, I substituted everything low or fat free except for the butter which only yielded a small amount and I can never bring myself to bake with margerine. Nothing against it, just that the taste of it doesn't sit well with my palate! Ever thought that you are making too many cupcakes or muffins out of a given recipe when there is not enough people to eat it and you feed them on yourself in the end? I find the allrecipes.com website absolutely useful in reducing the amount that I am making and I believe over-eating is the main factor that makes me fat, so I will only bake or cook the amount enough to feed me and my family for 1 meal or in this case, 1 teatime treat. With yogurt added and only cake flour used, the texture of these cupcakes are very good and moist. I have given up on my piping bags and tips and simply used a plastic baggie, snipped at the end and piped in a swirl and random motion. The cream cheese icing will be easier to pipe at room temperature. The only thing with this amended recipe is that there are alot of measuring. Hey, that is why losing weight is so complicated! But all it takes is effort. Happy Baking.
Recipe (adapted from allrecipes.com & certain ingredients substituted)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cake flour
1 tbsp & 1-3/4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
3 tbsp & 1/2 tsp fat free yogurt
1 tbsp & 1-3/4 tsp fat free milk
1/4 tsp red coloring Paste (Wilton)
Cream Cheese Frosting
3/4 pack of an 80z low fat cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered , sifted
Method:
1) Preheat oven to 350F and line 4 muffin tins with paper liner.
2)Sift the cake flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl. Leave aside.
3)Mix the red coloring paste into the milk. Leave aside.
4)Using a hand mixer, beat the butter with the sugar till creamy. Beat in the egg to mix. Add in the yogurt and then the milk and stir to mix in thoroughly.
5)Using a spatula, fold the flour and cocoa mixture into the butter mixture. Do not overmix.
6)Spoon the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling up to 2/3 full.
7)Bake for 25 mins. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 mins. Cool completely before applying the frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting :
1) Beat the cream cheese and the butter together till creamy and soft.
2)Stir in the powdered sugar till no lumps are visible.
3)Pipe onto the cupcakes and decorate with your choice of non-pareils or royal icing flowers.
Makes : 4 Cupcakes

No comments:

Sitemeter