Sunday, January 10, 2010

Oatmeal & Cranberry Muffin

Taking a short break from my travel posts. Still stuck in the year 2009 with all the photos from my trip to Malaysia and Hong Kong, I forgot to wish my friends, relatives and readers of this blog a Happy New Year 2010. Again all the best to you all and keep me company by coming to visit often.
Same old resolutions and some new ones for me. I had a great time with my mom and all my relatives back in Malaysia and can't wait for the next trip again. My resolution is to be healthier than last year and really keeping track of my threadmill walks this year. Given the current miserable cold, the outdoor is not an option and I guess I just have to turn on my FitTV and add on the workout. I emphasized 'healthier' and not the words 'to lose weight' as I find that wanting to feel healthy and upkeeping it is easier done than the said 'lose weight' phrase. Let us all see how far can I go by the next new year resolution!
To start off a healthy new year, I opted for muffins made with the much acclaimed healthy oats and anti-oxidant packed dried cranberry. I think they are a very good pick me up item for this cold winter time when the tummy growls at the most unexpected time of mid morning and mid afternoon! Cream and mousse cakes are more appropriate for spring and summer in my to make list and at the meantime, I will just take things slow and simple. My muffin recipe is rather eggy than crumbly, perhaps very little added butter and I opted to use all purpose flour instead of a combination with cake flour, which might explain why it is more spongy in texture. I reduced the amount of sugar to get my kids back on track on healthier eating as they are very keen on sugary drinks now that they have been surviving on juices most of the time during the trip away!


Recipe :

1-1/4 cup all Purpose Flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup low fat milk
3/4 cup oat
1/2 cup dried cranberry

Method:

1)Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin tin with paper liner.
2)Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together.
3)Beat the eggs with the sugar till pale yellow. Add in the melted butter.
4)Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture in 3 batches. Fold in the oats.
5)Lastly fold in the dried cranberries. Spoon and fill up to 2/3 of each paper liner. Decorate with more dried cranberries.
6)Bake for 30 mins. Turn off oven and leave in oven for another 10 mins. Remove and let cool on rack.


Makes : 8 muffins




1 comment:

terri@adailyobsession said...

happy new year--may all your wishes come true!

Sitemeter