Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Hong Kong & Macao 2009 Trip (Part 1)

Although I have been to Hong Kong several times since I was a young kid and now married to one from the same place, I never really take the time to explore this crowded lively city. I dislike the ever so busy lifestyle with its days and nights all conjured up with lots of activities going on at every corners at every minute and Hong Kong people seem to be always in a rush in their daily doings and sometimes their frustrations are not well contained where you just have to move faster on their streets, eat and drink quickly at their local restaurants and expect to queue for almost all public transportation at all hours!
This time I decided to travel like a tourist. Tagging along Curry and sometimes his cousins, I took my camera and palate on an adventure that I never attempted before. Despite all the tempting high end and affordable malls and street vendors alike, my aim was to explore the backstreets that defined Hong Kong since the 1960s and ate anyting edible that may be deemed gross by some but definitely a treat to me! Within the last 10 days of my vacation, I did alot and infact very satisfied with this trip as I have seen alot and learned something.



Powered by GoodWidgets.com

Surely street food should only be consumed with a feisty and daring heart especially in the compact Hong Kong with people, buildings, traffic, dust and particles existing together in a very crowded place. I was happy to try out the famous stinky Tofu, made popular and known to me through those TVB dramas in the 1980s and my take on this is that if you can take durian and fermented tofu used mostly in Chinese cooking, this notoriously named 'drain water tofu' is nothing! I liked mine plain while I poked around and saw others dowsed theirs with chilli paste. My absolute favorite would be the pig's intestine, deep fried on the skewer upon your order and its taste was so good with the crispiness and crunchiness on the outside conjured up with the soft juicy inside. The mixture of beef offal and curried fishball were amongst the best sellers and costs around HK$30 for the smaller tub. I find it very funny to see well dressed and fashion conscious HK people slurping and munching on these delicacies by the street, ignoring all etiquette of the fork and spoon with table manners.

Another must go and try are those small local restaurants on every street. I absolutely love the pastries and buns when they are served hot and fresh and with a cup of hot milked tea, it made my day. They are surely in my list to make this year for my blog updates!

1 comment:

terri@adailyobsession said...

reading this makes me want to fly off to hong kong now! i love their street food too, always delicious n quality stuff. surely hk IS the food capital of the world.

Sitemeter