Sunday, January 24, 2010

Blackberry Marzipan Pound Cake

I am one of those people who likes to buy one or two cake ingredients when I read about them in my cooking magazine. Although I am not totally drawn to super sweet stuffs, I was curious about marzipan and bought one log last year. I don't remember what I used it for and there was still half log left in the freezer and I just had to make use of it rather than chuck it into the bin.

I am taking a break from mousse cakes and going for the quintessential loaf and simple cakes this year. One cake that I particularly love to eat is the pound cake. Basically it is a very dense butter cake, very buttery and contains quite a number of eggs that yields its denseness. I think it is the best cake to go along with coffee!

Still in line with my diet plan, I used the portions control widget in allrecipes.com for its pound cake recipe to yield a smaller portion for 4 to 6 persons, baking them in two pans of a 1lb loaf pan. The size of the loaf pan was perfect, a small rectangle measuring a little over 5 inches in length, 3 inches in width and a little over 2 inches in height! Yes, very soon I will be a health freak with all these number and calories counting but I figured, this is the only way I can have my cake and eat it too!

Instead of using the marzipan to make sugary confections to decorate the cakes itself, I crumbled it with the flour portion of the batter. This takes a bit of an effort but the taste and aroma of the marzipan really blended in and makes the cakes super good! Initially I wanted to try to make swirls to create a marble pound cake but not successful. Blackberry is a lovely fruit, whose seeds add an extra bite to the texture of the cakes and of course, its deep reddish purple color makes the cake prettier than plain yellow. I first blended 10 blackberries which yielded 1/2 cup of puree and reserved 6 blackberries to drop into the cakes themselves. Instead of heavy cream, I substituted with low fat milk and reduced the amount of sugar from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup in view of the added sweetness from the marzipan. When these cakes came out perfect, I was so proud of myself as I know I am on the right track of learning the art of amending the ingredients of recipes to suit my diet plan and although it required time to re-do a whole given recipe with more healthier choices of ingredients and to get the correct measurements for everything, I am absolutely gamed for it! Take it as a better way of keeping the weight on track compared to the puffing & panting on the threadmill!

Recipe :

Ingredients :
1-1/2 cup Cake Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter (4oz) (room temperature)
1/4 cup sugar & 1-1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup low fat milk
3 large eggs, white & yolks separated (room temperature)
2 oz marzipan
1/2 tsp almond extract
10 blackberries, pureed to yield 1/2 cup
6 extra blackberries
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp water




Method :

1)Preheat oven to 350F and lower the rack to the bottom of the oven. Grease 2 small loaf pans with butter and dust with some cake flour. Tap out excess.

2)Crumble the marzipan into coarse meal state. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together. Using hands, crumble the marzipan into the flour mixture, till there is no big lump visible.

3)Beat the butter till soft and add in sugar, continue to beat till light & fluffy, about 2 to 3 mins. Beat in the egg yolks till well combined. Next beat in the milk and almond extract.

4)Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl and when foam starts to appear, add in the extra 1-1/2 tbsp sugar and beat till stiff peaks. Leave aside.

5)Using a spatula, fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture in 2 batches, combining thoroughly at each time.

6)Lastly fold in the beaten egg whites. This will instantly lighten the batter. Fold till well combined.

7)Divide and pour the batter to 1/2 full into the 2 loaf pans. Half way, insert 3 blackberries into each of the pan and continue to fill it up. Reserve 1 tsp of the blackberry puree and spoon the rest randomly onto the cake batter in the 2 pans. Swirl with a fork, poking towards bottom at intervals.

8)Bake for 50 to 60 mins till cake rises, slightly brown and use the toothpick test to determine if they are done. Leave in pans to cool for 10 mins.
9)Sift the powdered sugar and dissolve in the water. Stir in the 1 tsp blackberry puree. Drizzle randomly over the cakes.


Serves: 4 to 6 persons (small size)


1 comment:

terri@adailyobsession said...

the cake texture looks super.yum. hey, do u hav a really good chinese cashew nut cookie recipe? there are so many online but i've learnt tt only recipes frm people i trust work.u r one.

Sitemeter