Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Grape Jelly Cupcake

It is almost mid week and with my son starting to attend an hour more at his pre-school, I am beginning to feel more at ease. As with any moms who are seeing their kids going to school, I have been getting the same questions lately on what am I planning to do with all those free time! My answer is to tidy up my house, sip my morning coffee and eat my toasts in peace and hopefully to watch an hour of those morning talk shows with hosts that were born to rise and shine every morning of the day! Perhaps the ideas sound silly but these things are those that I haven't been able to do nor complete doing when my kids are around me. Peace and Quiet in my humble home is just Priceless these days.

To rekindle with my inner peace, I started baking again and of course, I wanted something very simple, good and quick to make. No frills and nothing complicated, these cupcakes were a cinch to whip up and bake. With the cool autumn days, I yearn for baked goods that smells buttery but just the right portion and size that I can grab with my instant coffee, kept piping hot in my insulated cup during the morning hours. There was a jar of grape jelly in the fridge that doesn't seem to be able to take the favorite spot of the marmalade jar next to it and I thought of the jelly doughnuts sold at Dunkin Donuts. I got the idea and used a teaspoon of the grape jelly to fill each of the 12 cupcakes and baked them to perfectly golden with the jelly retaining its liquidy lumpy form and yields an additional sweetness to the cupcakes. The amount of filling is a personal choice and I made mine with less as I didn't want the kids to get all sticky with the jelly on their hands. But of course, for a treat, the more jelly filling the better!

Ingredients :

2 cups All purpose Flour
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8oz butter, room temperature
6oz sugar
2 eggs & 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
Grape Jelly


Method:

1) Preheat oven to 375F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper cups.

2)Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.

3)In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar till creamy. Beat in the eggs and yolk for 1 minute and add in the beat and mix for another 30 seconds.

4)Fold in the flour mixture till evenly combined.

5)Scoop the batter to fill up to 1/2 full of the paper cups. Place 1 teaspoon of the grape jelly in the middle and spoon more batter to cover. Continue with the rest.

6)Bake for 25 to 28 mins till golden brown. Remove from heat immediately and let the cupcakes cool on racks for 15 mins before serving.

Makes: 12 regular size cupcakes


No comments:

Sitemeter