Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cinnamon Apple Mousse & Raspberry Gelee Cake

The week flew by so quickly with both the kids going to school and I being left alone to figure the timing and scheduling of my waiting and car pooling time! Gosh, first I thought now that my kids are going to school, I will be more relaxed, on the contrary, I am more stressed! Sigh, Miss E and Prince D, you both better remember mommy's anxieties and sweat in doing all these rushing and planning! The whole week, I was ruled by the clock and have been looking forward to this weekend to slow down and what better way to de-stress than make a nice cake to indulge.

The apple orchards are open but sadly it was raining and wet yesterday and I had no choice but to run down to my grocery store to pick up some apples. Apples are the ubiquitous fruit and available all year long in the stores here and to be able to pick them ripened and fresh from their trees during the cool months of Autumn is a delightful activity. I like every type except for McIntosh and for this recipe, I used Red Delicious, which is sweet and absolutely beautiful in its dark red hue. The raspberry had to go in to give this cake a vibrant color, which came out very well with the apple slices that garnished the cake.

I finally got an 8 inch square baking pan with removable bottom! I am more prone to things with square and rectangular shape and to be able to mould the apple mousse onto the Cinnamon genoise cake and taking all of them out without any hitch made my day! Cutting was easy this time as I added more gelatin to the mousse itself and there was no smudging between the red raspberry gelee and the mousse.
As Autumn air is here, the cinnamon brings out the best in this cake. My genoise cake recipe is always the same, only this time I omitted any flavoring of vanilla or lemon juice and added 1 tsp of cinnamon powder. And I found out that there is really a difference between using large and medium eggs. I used 2 large and 2 medium sized eggs and the cake didn't rise as high as my previous genoise cake. But that didn't affect the taste or texture of the cake. One thing about genoise cake, they do shrink after baking and the gelee and mousse did overflowed at the edges, hence the corner and edge side slices didn't expose much of the cake part.



I used 2 cups of frozen raspberries for the gelee part and I find that frozen ones is better and actually exudes more juice when cooked. I added 1/2 cup of sugar to it with 1 tbsp of gelatin, dissolved prior to adding. For the first layer on top of the cinnamon cake, I used half of the amount of the cooked gelee and used up the rest on the top part. One thing that I haven't learn is how to estimate the height of the gelee and mousse part and wouldn't know how they form the layers until I cut up the cake. Everytime it is a guessing game!


For the mousse part, I used only 1 red Delicious apple and cooked it in milk to get the white clean mousse color. The apple was first cooked in a bit of water and then pureed before being added to the boiled milk with sugar. I didn't add anymore Cinnamon to this part as I wanted each layer of the cake to impart its own flavor. I whipped up 1-1/2 cups of heavy cream and fold it into the apple and milk mixture, together with 1-1/2 tbsp of gelatin, dissolved prior to adding. Mousse cakes needs at least 4 hours of resting period in the fridge and it always takes me 2 days to make one. But I am never tired or discouraged of making one as they are really lighter and healthier (so to speak) compared to buttercream cakes. For this cake, I only used 2 tbsp of butter in the Cinnamon cake and no more trace of added fat to the rest of the cake.


So far, I think I love this cake the most, partly because of its color. The other factor is of course the taste, as it incorporates the late summer taste of lingering raspberries and the incoming warm sweet smell of cinnamon and apples. A kind of transitional phase for the palate I guess!




7 comments:

Agnes said...

yum yum yum yum yum and YUM!

crazymommy said...

Wow...the cake is so pretty!! *drool........*

Betty said...

Congratulations Lily, you are very good and this cake is very nice!
Good day.

Mary Chey said...

This is the BEST thing i''ve ever seen. You can go oprah already. hahahha :)

Mary Chey said...

Keep it up! i cant wait for MORE. by the way.. im DYING to taste it in KK when you're back!

Lily Anette said...

Agnes & Mary: You both are always so funny! Yes, I will make more of these desserts.

Betty: Thank you.

CrazyMommy: Next Time I will send some over! :)

TAITx3 said...

Hi. I was wondering if you had a recipe for the Cinnamon genoise cake. If you do, could you please send it to me.

Sitemeter