Monday, August 24, 2009

Meat & Salted Radish Angkoo

My Angkoo moulds were still out on the kitchen countertop after my friends and I made some 2 weeks ago. I wanted to make a savory/salty version this time and also to practise on my pathetic moulding skills. I thought perhaps the pressure was too much when I had to make it with the Mistress of Crafty Hands, Crazymommy last time and this time, I worked slowly and made sure that my turtle shaped kueh didn't fly out of the mould with too much pressure and no more overfilling till they bursts!

I saw this recipe in one of my Malaysian cookbooks and was enticed by its pictured color of black! The recipe used a type of leaf called "rami Leaf" which was processed and added to the skin dough of the kueh. I have no idea on what it is and went and search for something black to substitute and I thought of the dried Prunella grass that is boiled down to a black herbal drink that I usually make for my kids on heaty days. Prunella grass has a very nice subtle floral smell and I thought this may be an added distinct flavor to the kueh.

Well, the blackness of the prunella grass water that I added to the glutinous flour didn't turn out black but brown instead! And it blended in with the salted radish filling, how convenient. The dough recipe for this kueh is different from the last one, comprising only of glutinous rice flour, oil and water. The dough must be covered with wet kitchen paper towel at all time and while each Angkoo is being rolled and filled or else it will dry up and become brittle for moulding. To avoid drying, I made 2 batches of the dough, the second batch after I finished up wrapping the first batch. This filling recipe yields 16 small angkoos and you can reduce it to half to make 8 angkoos only by using one recipe/batch only of the skin dough.

The steaming process is very important too and the heat must be medium low and the timing is between 8 to 12 mins to retain a nice shape of the kueh. Oversteam it and the shape will be flattened out and the skin gets too gooey and lumpy. The filling was first cooked and cooled and the water that was used to make up the dough was hot rather than cold. I find that cold water speeds up the drying of the dough but hot water dissolves the glutinous flour really well. For a change, a salty/savory filling is very welcoming in my household and the kids loved it as much as the sweet ones. And so does Curry as this one has no coconut milk added. I like the crunchiness of the salted radish and it usually goes very well when cooked with pork meat.


Recipe :
Meat & Radish Filling
225g minced Pork
150g salted radish (soaked, washed & minced to small pieces)
2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Sesame Oil
Extra White Pepper

1)Marinate the minced pork with the dark soy sauce, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper and sesame oil for 1 hour.
2)Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in frying pan and saute the minced salted radish and minced pork together, distributing and mixing thoroughly. Saute for 10 mins. Sprinkle extra pepper. Remove from heat and let cool.


Skin Dough
200g Glutinous Rice Flour
150ml Hot Water
25 ml Cooking Oil

Others: Banana leaf squares, cooking oil & pastry brush

1) Mix the flour with the hot water. Combine well and add the oil.
2)Using hands, knead to a soft dough. Cover immediately with wet kitchen paper towel.
3)Roll some dough (weighing around 50gm each) in your palm, and using the other palm to slowly flatten out the dough. Spoon in some filling, gather up the sides and press into angkoo mould. Gently flatten the top part so that the bottom of the kueh will be imprinted with the pattern of the mould. With fingers, gently push in the sides of the kueh off the rim of the mould. Knock the kueh out onto an oiled banana leave square. Place in a plate, cover with wet kitchen towel and continue with the rest.
4)Prepare steamer and boil water. Turn down the heat to medium low and wipe away the steam droplets that accumulated on top of the steamer lid. Place the angkoo at least 1 inch apart from each other in the steamer and steam for 8 mins.
5)Remove the lid gently to avoid the steam droplets that accumulated during the steaming from dropping on top of the kueh. Brush the kueh with some cooking oil, close lid and continue steaming for another 3 to 4 mins. Turn off heat. Take out kueh and let cool to room temperature before serving.


Makes : 8 small angkoo (1 dough recipe & 1/2 of the filling recipe)
16 small angkoo(2 dough recipe and 1 Filling Recipe)


3 comments:

crazymommy said...

Looking good!! You can start making the mooncake again. ;)

terri@adailyobsession said...

lily, tt black kuih is made with 'gai si ten' (chicken shit vine?). my girl used to love it when she was younger but i don't bc there's not much flavor to it. i've never made angkoh kuih, mooncakes n all these traditional kuihs before. u amaze me.

Lily Anette said...

Terri: now u mentioned the name of that black leaf in Hakka, I think I remember. Funny name though. :)

Sitemeter