Thursday, April 9, 2009

Truffle Eggs

Happy Easter. Same as last year, my friends and I will get together to celebrate Easter and let the kids run wild at the egg hunt. My initial plan was to make chocolate eggs but it was so much more work and more difficult than I first thought. Melting and moulding chocolate on a warm day was not a good idea and after a first unsuccessful test of making them, I simply gave up.

I adapted this recipe from Good Food Magazine Issue April 2007 and hopefully it will be good. We are very used to truffle chocolates which has a middle creamy filling with a hardened outer layer of chocolate encassing the truffle cream itself. These truffle eggs consists only the soft part, rolled in icing sugar and cocoa powder to hold its shape. It is like eating a lump of hardened cream that melts in the mouth and goes down very well with black coffee.

The process starts with both white and semi sweet dark chocolate broken into pieces in separate bowls while the heavy cream is brought to a boiling point. Butter was added to the chocolate pieces to give it a smoother taste and shine and hot cream melted the chocolate. White chocolate is more difficult to work with and no matter how long I put it in the fridge, it doesn't firm up as good as the dark chocolate.

These truffles have extra ingredients added to give them an unusual texture. The white truffles contained shortbread cookies crumb which was first crushed and then added to the melted white chocolate. The taste reminded me of Hershey's cookies and cream and perhaps Oreo cookies may be substituted instead which will create speckled white eggs. As for the brown truffles, I added dried raisins to the melted chocolate. As the chocolate is not as sweet as the white version, the addition of raisins adds sweetness to it.

Overall I would say that the rolling and shaping part of each egg was the most tedious step. To create the slightly oval and pointed top, I rolled one heap teaspoonsful of the firmed up truffle cream and made a 'C' with both my thumb and pointer finger and gently put the truffle in between to shape and squeeze out the egg shape. I was so glad that the recipe yielded exactly 20 pieces of these truffles of which 18 filled snuggly into the cute ceramic egg trays and 2 left over for tasting.

I just keep them in an airtight container, layered with wax paper and will serve them at room temperature at the actual day. Although not perfectly shaped, they do perk up the spirit of Easter.



1 comment:

Plain Jane said...

yummy eggs and great shots!

Sitemeter