Thursday, March 19, 2009

Scallion & Sesame seed Pancake

According to my close friend Crazymommy, making these pancakes is very easy. I would say it is not wholly easy, at least the making of the dough and rolling part required alot of time and I think I did the rolling process too much that my scallion ended up mostly on the outside of the pancake and not inside! Or was it supposed to be like that? I had eaten this once or twice but never really observe on what it looked like.

Despite for the fact that scallion is so easy to grow and I have onions in hand all the time, I get it at the grocery store every week. One interest that I am lacking is gardening and I am totally clueless on how to rake or clean the dirt for plants! Perhaps I should make Curry and Missy E grow me some starting this spring, knowing that they were so excited after their pea and tomato plants actually produced last year! Perhaps this year I should make a herb garden their project.

The Chinese people uses a great deal of scallion in their cooking and we use it in soups, steamed dishes and sometimes fried with eggs. Most of the time, it makes the dishes more fragrant and also enhances the color as well as the taste of the main dish and it can keep in the fridge for at least a week's period.

Most of the scallion pancake recipes do not have sesame seeds in it. The fact that this dough is very versatile and sturdy to contain any types of dry fillings makes different varieties of fillings possible. I added baking powder to the flour in hope that the dough will turn out light and slightly puffy when cooked. Original recipes don't use any type of leavener. The result was that the texture was slightly like bread texture rather than very thin flat piece of pan fried flour. The outer part was crisp and a coat of vegetable oil must cover the frying pan but not to the point of soaking the flattened dough during the pan frying. At first, I tried to avoid too much oil by simply brushing oil on the frying pan and the inside of the pancake was not cooked thoroughly. After adding more oil, the next batch were better and they browned and cooked evenly.

I would have served these pancakes with plain soy sauce and any type of sauces can be used. Thanks to Curry and the kids, they finished up the whole plate before dinner time. Perhaps it should only be served as snack but I was hoping to slowly savor each slice at dinner time, knowing that it took me alot of effort and time to make them. What I was left with was the doillie paper! Hmmmm.


Ingredients :
1-1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 cup boiling water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Extra vegetable oil
3/4 cup scallions, cut to small pieces (around 5 stalks of leaves)
2 tbsp slightly toasted white sesame seeds


Method :

1)Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
2)Make a well in the middle and pour in hot water. Use spatula to bring in the flour from sides of bowl and mix in. Add in the 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Knead for 5 mins. Divide to 6 to 8 balls of equal sizes. Cover with cling film and let rest for 30 mins.
3)Roll out each ball to a circle and brush with vegetable oil. Sprinkle with some scallion and sesame seeds.
4)Roll from bottom edge nearest to you all the way up to enclose the filling and pinch the sides. Turn the rolled up dough vertical and roll up to a tight coil and turn it flat on the surface. Using fingers, press out from the middle and roll out with rolling pin to a circle again.
5)Brush with extra vegetable oil and sprinkle with some more sesame seeds (can be omitted). Roll up and flatten again as in Step (4). Repeat with all the dough balls.
6)Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in frying pan. Pan fry the flattened dough for 5 to 8 minutes each, turning both sides. Dish up and let rest on kitchen paper towel to absorb grease.
7)Cut to quarters. Serve with soy sauce or any sauce of your choice.

Makes: 6 to 8 pancakes



5 comments:

danny kwok said...

wondering if self-rising flour will do the trick in place of flour and baking powder..

crazymommy said...

The method i learnt (cold water method) from the 'red riding hood' is really easy. I must show u next time if u r still keen to make this again. My know-how-to-make-me-happy ah lao said the only two restaurants that can beat my pancakes are Szechuan Chef and Shangri-la restaurant in Belmont. Muahahaaa...

crazymommy said...

Oh... and the recipe I'm using only uses cold water, plain flour, salt & spring onions!!

danny kwok said...

cold water....hmm means it will be extra crispy? like tempura?

terri@adailyobsession said...

looks really really good!my MIL tells me in shanghai, lard is used for more flavorful n crispy pancake

Sitemeter