Friday, March 20, 2009

Corned Beef with Potato & Carrot

Packaged corned beef were on sale during St. Patrick's Day week and I couldn't resist the deal and had to buy a pack. Although I am not Irish, I am quite open to all types of cuisine and during my stay in England, I have eaten more steak and kidney pud and fish & chips than anyone else! To us who lives in America, we associate the English and Irish as one but over in the UK, they do really emphasize their differences. However said, I think British and Irish food are very homey in taste and I like the idea that they are usually very simple and cooked over a long period of time to fully release the flavor of the meat or vegetable itself.

I grew up with the type of corned beef that comes in a can and I still like it till this day. Not a very healthy choice due to added preservatives and salt but still very helpful when I have nothing to cook for dinner. Corned beef is actually the brisket cut of the cow and brined in salt. To rid of the saltiness, the whole brisket cut can be blanched in boiling water before the actual cooking with the accompanying ingredients but I simply rinsed mine under running cold water. I just omitted adding any more salt to this dish.

I like that the color of this meat stays red throughout the long cooking and very easy to slice into thin slices. The original version of this dish is served with boiled cabbage or sometimes brussel sprouts. I don't like either and used red baby potatoes and carrots only. For the herbs, I combined minced rosemary and thyme and sauteed them with onion and garlic. Although the results of this dish looks plain, the taste is very clean and uncomplicated.


Ingredients :

2 lbs corned Beef or Beef Brisket meat

1 large yellow onion, sliced

5 garlic cloves, sliced

3 tsp of rosemary and thyme, minced

1 tsp of black pepper

2 cups of Low Sodium Beef Broth (Use usual Beef broth if using plain brisket)

2 cups of water

5 carrots (halved)

8 small red potatoes, skin peeled

Method :

1)Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a pot. Saute the onion, garlic and herbs for 3 minutes.

2)Add in the beef broth and pepper and turn on the heat till boiling.

3)Put in the corned beef and lower the heat to medium low and let simmer for 30 mins. Turn the brisket around and spoon some of the softened onion to cover the top part. Add the 2 cups of water and continue to simmer.

4)After 30 mins, turn the brisket around again and simmer further for another 30 mins.

5)Add in the potatoes and carrots and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat.

6)Spoon out the brisket and let rest for 5 mins. Slice to serving sizes, yields from 7 to 9 slices.

7)Serve with the potatoes, carrots and gravy sauce.

Serves: 3 persons

No comments:

Sitemeter