Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blueberry Yogurt Cupcake

I haven't baked since X'mas and there is not much going on this month to entice me doing it. Perhaps I baked too many cookies last month, I totally have no desire to make the Chinese New Year cookies this time. A big thank you to Crazymommy for her pineapple cookies and Kuih Bangkit, a Malaysian/Singaporean rice flour cookie or else I will just let this New Year celebration pass by without tasting the auspicious & perhaps superstitious pineapple cookies that is supposed to mean prosperity coming, literally translated from the ever so colorful Chinese language!

Believe it or not, before today, I had never made a cupcake in my life. Despite it being the craze and fad of the baking world with its endless possibilities of flavoring and decorations, I never kind of follow that trend. Perhaps when there are just too many of them in cookbooks, cafes and also blogs, I got overwhelmed and rather do different things. But there is always a first time and I had a yearning for cakes when I see them in the grocery stores, I made some today. Afterall, I had to shovel the snow to get the car in and out of the parking lot and I must eat something sweet to get by the day!

My grandmother used to tell me that not all cakes are baked even and they may look ugly but taste good and the icing always covers up all those cracks and uneven browning. True enough with these cupcakes, they were moist but didn't come out perfectly in shapes. But I find them pretty with the lilac color from the blueberry yogurt I added and the natural brown and cracks made them looked rustic and homemade. I had no idea why I bought a tub of whipped cream last week, possibly the urge to eat something creamy and fattening which is a very common appetite in winter time and I put it to use with these cupcakes. I sliced off the top part of the cakes, spooned some of the whipped cream and popped in some fresh blueberries as garnish before replacing the top part. This method can also be used to spruce up any store bought cupcakes if baking from scratch is not an option and little touches makes everything more special.

I used cake flour for these cupcakes as I find it yields a more softer and more moist texture compared to all purpose flour. Possibly I added too much yogurt, the cakes were a bit heavy, tender and moist. I had to move them from the oven to the cooling rack with care but once they were completely cooled, they became firmer.

Ingredients :

1-1/3 cup cake flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
3/4 cup blueberry flavored yogurt or plain yogurt

For garnish/filling
3/4 cup whipped cream
1/3 cup fresh blueberries


Makes: 4 big sized cupcakes or 6 small ones







Method:

1. Preheat oven to 375'F. Cream the butter with a mixer. Add in sugar and continue to mix till creamy and light.

2. Beat in the egg and mix evenly.

3. Sift the cake flour with the baking powder. Add 1/3 portion into the butter mixture with a spatula by folding in.

4. Add in 1/3 part of the yogurt and mix evenly.

5. Continue adding the flour and yogurt in the previous orders. The mixture will be thick.

6. Add in the blueberries and gently fold in to spread them out evenly in the cake batter.

7. Bake for 25 mins or till toothpick test comes out clean. Cool completely on rack.

8. Slice top parts of cakes and using a plastic baggie to contain the whipped cream, pipe cream onto the bottom parts of the cakes, garnish with some blueberries and replace the top part of the cake. For a better presentation, dust with confectioner sugar.


2 comments:

dolly's fav said...

looks very tempting. is it soft after baking? sour as u use yoghurt?

Dionne said...

Oh this looks AMAZING. I literally am going to get off the computer and make them RIGHT NOW!

Sitemeter