Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chicken Phyllo Tart


It has been some time since I last posted an easy recipe. With the busy season of gifts buying and cookies making, I didn't manage to create anything new for dinner. Sometimes we even fed on the same kind of vegetable for days and I simply make a stew that last for days.

Today we had a playdate at a friend's place and I made these tarts to bring over. Thank you AK for inviting us over and I hope you didn't have a bad time cleaning up your place after we left!! And we will still get invited the next time.


I got these phyllo tart shells from the grocery , sold under the name Athens Mini Phillo Shells. When I first started this blog, I adamantly told my Greek friend that I will try to make phyllo dough one day and he said I am crazy. Still, eager as a bird and strong as a bull then, I told him I will do it. After months gone by, I finally came to my senses that something store bought are meant to be and phyllo is on top of the list! I may be crazy with ideas but I don't have a mad mind!


I had no idea that these tart shells were so small till I took them out of the packet. My goodness, they were perhaps less than 2 inches each and I was wondering how am I supposed to put in any filling into them. At first I was planning to pour the condensed chicken soup together with the chicken meat, peas and corn into it but I ended up spooning the ingredients individually into 15 shells. Making them were not difficult, any types of fillings will do and I am surprised they were so crisp and tasted fresh after a mere 10 minutes baking in the oven at 350F. Like they said, good things comes in small packages and pop one of these in your mouth, you will enjoy munching it away. The cream of chicken soup did not melt during the baking, it stayed the same creamy consistency but warmed and complementing the steamed chicken pieces that I filled into the cavity of the shell and topped with peas and corn. I grated some Gouda cheese with a lemon rind grater to get the long strands and sprinkled on top of the cream of chicken soup. Sprinkled with some thyme , the tarts looked complete. The fun is eating it when it is still super crispy.






Ingredients :
15 Phyllo tart shells (pre made)
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup of frozen corn bits
6 tbsp of cream of chicken soup (Campbell)
fresh thyme
1/2 cup of grated Gouda or Cheddar cheese
2 chicken drumstick (steamed for 15 mins and cut to pieces)


Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Place all the tart shells in paper liners.
3. Fill the tarts in this order : chicken pieces, peas & corn, small dollop of the cream of chicken soup, grated cheese and thyme.
4. Bake for 10 mins. Remove and serve warm.

Serves: 4 persons (as finger food)




3 comments:

Momsiecal said...

so gonna try this!!

Agnes aka Ric3y said...

YUMMY

Cath J said...

Looks delicious!! a must try recepi.. Thanks for the recepi.. :)

Sitemeter