Thursday, October 2, 2008

Salmon & Scallion Bun



Source: 65C Water Roux Bread (Taiwan Chinese publication by Yvonne C)
Preparation Time : 3.5 hours (Cooking,Mixing, Rising to Baking)

I find that freshly made Water roux yields a better rise bread compared to using left over/overnight dough. Luckily, the recipe for it is a mere combination of 5 parts liquid to 1 part flour and I just have to adjust the amounts of both to yield the quantity that is required by the recipe of the day.

The original recipe for this bun is for a scallion bun without any filling. I find the buns with fillings a bit difficult to make, partly due to the fact that the wrapping and sealing in parts are quite difficult to maneuvre if these procedures are not done on a daily basis. Sometimes, the bun can end up with too much filling and burst during the shaping and at times, it is impossible to get a uniform shape with one dough rolled too big and another too narrow.

I prefer canned salmon to tuna and firstly I drained all the liquid before flaking the salmon. To make 9 buns, I used 2/3 of a can. At first, it was quite difficult to shape the filled in buns. After the second one, I wrapped the rest like I used to wrap Chinese pot stickers.

After a resting period of 1 hour, the bread dough was divided into 9 pieces, weighing 60gm each. Each was then rolled out to 1/2 inch thin and brushed with some olive oil before 3 tsp of the salmon filling is placed in the middle. The top and bottom edges of the dough was then pinched, sealed and tuck in together. I turned it around and used the rolling pin to apply a little pressure on the smooth side to spread the dough a little and this in turn will gently flatten the bottom part and the tips. I didn't get to make the deep slit in the middle of each bun properly as instructed by the recipe and perhaps I should have done it after it further expanded after another resting period of 1 hour instead of instantly after shaping it.

The surface of the buns were then brushed with egg wash. The scallions were dipped into the egg and spread on the slit openings. I added some cheese shreds for fun. The buns browned very fast towards the last 5 minutes of the total of 15 minutes and it needs to be taken out immediately for cooling or else the buns will look too brown and perhaps burnt. The presence of the olive oil inside the buns retained the moisture in the salmon filling, hence it doesn't feel hard nor dry to bite into it. The bread texture was good, same as the previous bakings and the dough actually rises more during the baking than at the time of resting. When squeezed and pressed into, the bun gives out a springy texture but felt soft and light . I like it for the fact that it is not as oily as the previous Bacon bun.



6 comments:

crazymommy said...

You are tempting me again!! Maybe one day i will try my hand in making bun too! hr;)

Agnes aka Ric3y said...

This is so pretty!!! :D

Denise ^ ChiCkyEGG said...

This is so good!

oh ya, can you actually taste the 'yeast' when u eat these buns?

I always love to make my own buns, however, whenever i see yeast usage, always turn me off! my stomach always cannot tolerate with yeast! I always end up with gastric whenever I eaten home-made yeast buns.. or donuts especially. Strange is, I have no problem with commercial white breads.

Lily Anette said...

crazymommy: Try it and you will enjoy!

agnes: Make it one day!

denise: This type of bun has no trace of the yeast added, as the amount is lesser and the dough is let to rise for a shorter time before baking, hence no presence of sourness nor yeast smell.

Mary Sireanu said...

Pretty bakes. Could you show step by step on how you do it. How did you did the filling to stick out? Do you cut a deep slit in the middle???

What about sharing the recipe on how to?

Thank you.

Mary

LilyAnette said...

Hi Mary,

There are plenty of Videos on Youtube where you can see how this basic bread dough is made and the varieties thereon. Just search for Water Roux 65C Tang Zong Bread. I have the book but respecting the copyright not to post it here. Thank you.

Sitemeter