Friday, July 18, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Ginger Honey Baked Chicken Drumstick

We had a friend with her baby daughter over for lunch cum play date today. Some people like lunching and dining out but these days, I like to do it the 'In style' . I don't mind the cooking nor cleaning up as I feel more comfortable not having to keep an eye for my kids whenever we eat out and myself ending up eating nothing at all. I hate to admit it that I have grown accustomed to those fast food places where they also provide kids play area and fancy dining places are out of my reach till my kids have been sent to table manners boot camps and returned to me in pristine pressed clean table napkin condition!

I have been making this recipe for countless times and I think most of my mommy friends have tasted this dish. Before it gets lost among the common food that I usually take for granted, it is only fair that it has a place in this blog.

When I was young, I didn't like the smell and taste of ginger as I thought it was too strong. But now, my cooking must have it or else the dish I am making will be bland and lacking the oriental flavor that this household favors. Having said so, my pickiness doesn't stop there.... I prefer my ginger minced and grated rather than being cut in a chunky piece and chucked in with the rest of the ingredients as in the Chinese way of cooking their meat and vegetable dishes.

Honey is seldom used in my cooking, although I do use it all the time to relieve the stuffed nose and throat discomfort when I have serious colds in winter time. Honey is the main liquid content in this dish and gives a thick sweet sauce to the tender cooked chicken drumstick. The presence of ginger gives out the effect to the smell senses while the honey dominates the taste senses. Overall, this is a light dish to serve during hot summer days and definitely a ladies lunch thing when beef and pork are just too heavy for the palate. I mixed up some salad greens with salami and drizzled a simple dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and black pepper over it to go along with the chicken.


Ingredients:

6 to 7 Chicken drumsticks

salt & pepper

1 tbsp crushed oregano

1 cup honey

3 tbsp water

20g grated ginger

Juice of 1 lime


Method:

1)Wash and dry the drumsticks. Season with salt, pepper and crushed oregano.

2)Put honey, water, grated ginger and lime juice in saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil till the honey is diluted. Turn off heat and leave to cool completely.

3)Place the drumsticks in zip lock bags or big bowl. Pour the honey mixture into the bag/bowl and coat evenly. Let marinate at least 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.

4)Preheat oven to 350'F . Place the drumsticks into an oven dish and arrange compactly. Pour over the marinating sauce. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 mins till the sauce starts to bubble.

5)Take out, spoon some of the sauce over the top of the drumsticks and cover the dish with foil and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 mins.

6)Turn off oven heat and let dish sit for a few minutes before serving.

Serves: 3 persons

3 comments:

Agnes said...

OOO Lah Lah!!!

Anonymous said...

Can I substitute the drumstick with a whole chicken?

Lily Anette said...

I have never actually tried with a whole chicken but I think it can be done. Double the quantity of the ginger and honey and bake with the breast side up and turning it around. Because of the presence of honey, the outside of the whole chicken may burn and cook faster than the inside,so try cook it like roast chicken, using aluminum foil if required.

Sitemeter