Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Pineapple Tomato Chicken

Summer sure comes early this year. The appetites crave for all things light and easy and I wish I can feed my clan with salad all day long and not turn on the stove at all. However, that is definitely impossible unless all Curry, Missy E and Prince D can stop asking me the same question everyday... 'what is for dinner?' Their expectations are high and I cannot be lazy at all!

Pineapple is a very refreshing fruit and lucky for us, we can get them at the grocery. I am very lousy at carving out a fresh pineapple and by the time I finished carving out the 'eyes', the original size could have been shrunk to a remaining 1/3 only. So, only on good days and when I am feeling all crafty with the knife will I get the sweet smelling ones or else the canned ones are as good as I can get.

I am amazed on the different types and sizes of tomatoes available in the market today. Small ones like grapes and cherry are favorites in my Bento boxes while the huge ones go into the stew and soup pot. For this dish, I used the small ones with firmer texture.

The taste of this dish is sweet with a watery sauce that simply can be eaten on its own. The pineapple releases juice during the cooking and the tomatoes were added later to retain their shapes and color. I used the Japanese citrus Ponzu sauce to marinate the chicken to give it a tinge of tartness. Having this dish on a hot day kind of cool down the tastebuds and you don't feel stuffed with any heavy gravy. The pineapple and tomatoes are good combinations for any summer dish.



Ingredients:

15 small tomatoes, all halved
10 canned ring pineapples, quartered
1 lb chicken thigh meat, sliced
1 shallot, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tbsp Ponzu citrus sauce
salt & pepper
3 leaves of scallions, white part retained

Method:

1)Marinate the chicken meat with the Ponzu sauce, salt and pepper.
2)On high heat, heat oil in wok and fry the garlic, shallot and white part of scallion for 1 minute.
3)Add in the chicken and continue to stir fry and toss for 3 minutes.
4)Add in the pineapple and mix thoroughly. Turn down the heat and cover wok with lid for 7 to 10 minutes till the chicken is opaque.
5)Add in the tomatoes and cover and let simmer for another 7 minutes till the tomatoes begin to soften but not mushy.
6)Add salt to taste. Serve and garnish with scallion.

Serves: 3 persons

No comments:

Sitemeter