Friday, May 9, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Chicken and Tomato Stew

On a cold spring day, the appetite yearns for something warm with lots of gravy to pour over that bowl of rice. Perhaps the tomato season has started early this year as I see so many kinds available and couldn't resist the ones on the vine that comes neatly packed in the plastic container.

Like most kids, I grew up picky on vegetables and fruits. Capsicum is never my choice and I still don't eat it today. I was not into tomato and carrot then but nowadays I kind of like them alot, knowing that my ageing metabolism and nutrients intake should emphasize on taking them everyday of the week and also they give a nicer color to any dishes.

Luckily Missy E loves everything and except for beetroot and its redness that gives her a squemish feeling, she would chow down even the bland broccoli. As for Prince D, lets just say he is too young to understand the goodness of vegetables and prefer only his peas at the meantime.

I used the Chinese Preserved Bean Curd ('Nam Yue') to form the gravy. Curry is a big fan of both the spicy chilli preserved bean curd ('Fu Yue') and 'Nam Yue' and if he ate them straight from the bottle, he gets the same eyeball look from me as he would have given me with my durian binging! Well, what can I say except that both of us are made of different genes and the best pair of 'opposite attract' couple.

After blending into the tomato, the strong smell of the preserved beancurd kind of dissipated and made the gravy color appetizing. The taste is actually good if you like a light and healthy dish with lots of gravy. The tomatoes were cooked till soft and you can feel the juiciness at every bite.



Ingredients:

2 pieces of chicken quarters(Thigh & Drumstick) meat, deboned and cut to chunky pieces (about 450g)
5 small tomatoes, cut to 8 sections each
2 cubes of Chinese preserved bean curd (red 'Nam Yue')
3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 thumbsized knob of ginger, minced
1 small shallot, minced
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tsp water
salt & pepper
Cilantro for garnish



Method:
1)Heat oil in pan. Stir fry the minced garlic, ginger and shallot for 1 minute on high heat.
2)Add in the preserved Bean curd and mash up in the pan and add in the chicken. Coat evenly and stir fry for 2 mins and cover with lid and turn down heat and let sit for 5 mins.
3)Add in the tomatoes and distribute evenly around the chicken. Add in the water. Simmer for 7 minutes till the tomatoes turn soft. Add salt and pepper.
4)Add in cornstarch mixture gradually to required thickness. Simmer further for 2 mins.
5)Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice.

Serves: 3 persons


3 comments:

crazymommy said...

I didn't know Missy E doesn't like the beetroot! She was told Nikita about drinking the yummy "red soup" which is really good.

I have never tried cooking with nam yue, maybe i shud try it one day!! :)

By the way,HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

Agnes said...

I like the stew!!!! Jie you always make me drools..................

Lily Anette said...

CrazyMommy: Force feed!

Sitemeter