Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Sweet Black Soy Pork with Sesame

I was yearning for something sweet to go with my daily rice. Call my palate a flip flopper, it sure asks for something different everyday and I wonder if this reflects my personality too! Maybe. Mood swings is my trademark and I really believe in horoscope predictions and the fact that I was born under the sign Cancer makes me a crabby housewife at certain days and a feisty claw snapper at other days.

My recent infatuation with sesame seeds is apparent everywhere in this blog. I love both white and black and they really bring out the character of the dish that they accent on and makes everything tastier, especially when it is toasted and its nutty smell just adds more enjoyment to every bite.

For this dish, I used the sweet soy sauce ('kecap Manis') and honey to make the gravy. The sweet soy sauce is good as everything that I have used it for has produced a good color which is appetizing to the eyes. It gives a thicker consistency and a coating that feels slippery in the mouth and yet it smacks on the lips like a thick lip gloss.

This dish is best served hot from the pot with a bowl of rice. As I used pork butt meat which has a bit of fat , the meat is tender and chewy. I prefer red onions to the white and yellow ones as I find them more pungent in smell and retains their crunchiness better in this braise and simmer dish.



Ingredients:
1.25 lbs of pork butt (seasoned with salt, pepper, cooking wine, sesame oil & 2 tsp cornstarch)
1/2 red Onion
3 slices of ginger, minced
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
3 scallion leaves, white part minced
2 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp light soy sauce
5 tbsp water
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp of toasted white sesame seeds



Method:
1)Heat oil in pan/pot. Stir fry the ginger, garlic and white part of scallion for about 2 mins on medium heat.
2)Add in half of the red onion and continue to stir fry for another minute. Turn to high heat and add 1 tsp of cooking oil.
3)Add in the pork and coat evenly and continue to stir fry and reduce the heat back to medium and let sit for 5 minutes with lid on pot.
4)Combine the sweet and salty soy sauce together with the honey in a bowl and add in the 5 tbsp water to mix. Add into the meat together with the remaining red onion and let simmer for another 3 minutes. Add in the 1/2 cup of water and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
5)Dish up and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and garnish with diagonal cut of scallions.

Serves: 2 to 3 persons

No comments:

Sitemeter