Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Curry Chicken

"Want some curry?" I asked. The human Curry said "Yes!"

At times, my palate yearns for something but I don't cook it immediately or I cannot get it straightaway. Normally a dish like curry is a tastebud's need during cold winter days, when the spiciness of the gravy just warms the stomach and every bite of the meat or vegetables cooked in it makes the mouth happy. So this dish has been long coming and a cool spring day makes my appetite for it even more obvious.


In Malaysia, ready mixed curry spices are everywhere but over here, I learnt to concoct my own from the many spices that I got from the Indian store. Sometimes I wonder why do we need so many types from cumin, coriander, garam masala to turmeric powder when all of them seem to be similar in appearance and taste. Sometimes, the requirements of these many spices can deter a determined cook like me and yet my longing for the taste of curry overules all my doubts.


I used 10 to 12 pieces of dried red chillis to get the dish firing hot because that seems to be the preference now since I started consuming Korean Kimchi and Curry, needless to say... he is synonymous with everything spicy, hence his nickname.



Ingredients:

1/2 of a medium sized chicken, cut to chunky pieces
1 large yellow onion
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 thumbsize ginger knob, minced
12 dried red chillis
2 cups of water
250ml coconut milk
2 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
salt
cooking oil





Method:


1)Marinate the chicken pieces with the mixture of the cumin, coriander & turmeric powder. Add in some salt and 2 tbsp cooking oil and coat evenly. Let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
2)Heat cooking oil on high heat and stir fry the garlic, ginger and red chillis for 2 minutes. Add in the onion, lower the heat and continue to stir fry for 5 minutes.
3)Turn the heat up and add in chicken and coat evenly. Cover with lid and let sit for 2 minutes and turn down the heat and let simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. Add in the water and let simmer further for 15 to 20 minutes, till meat is tender.
4) Stir in coconut milk and let sit for another 3 minutes. Turn off heat. Serve with rice.



Serves: 3 persons

No comments:

Sitemeter