Sunday, March 30, 2008

Puff Pastries: Pistachio Strawberry Mousse and Blueberry Custard

Of all the pastries, I find the puff paste is the most amazing. Of course, butter rules in this one and also one must have cold hands to make it. Seeing the layering of the dough puffing up in the oven makes my spirit soar! Something as simple as butter and flour can be so intriguing on how they create chemistry together with the oven and ending up in flaky and crisp form and a divine taste that just melts in the mouth! Perhaps I am just nuts as I decided to try my hands on making the puff pastry. The first time and last time that I made it before today was at my short but fun baking class 5 years ago. The Italian instructor opened up my eyes to the pleasure of making everything from scratch. I never mind measuring the flour and sugar and making use of every tools in the kitchen drawer and cabinet, as long as the kids get their own spaces and my kitchen is allocated for baking sessions only without Curry fumbling around the stove cooking his 'Must Have Sunday Instant Noodle Brunch'!

Started the process last night to let the dough sit and rest before shaping and baking them this morning. Making puff pastry is really a test of all patience and should never be attempted by a 1st timer without any knowledge of how the texture of the dough is. It was a mess when the butter met the flour and iced water. But it got better during the rolling and folding part. From the making part to the resting part, the whole thing just spells "SINFUL"....... butter blob with the utmost aroma and fat all over. And when time to shape them again, they look so plain till they met the oven and became "SUPER SINFUL". While some houses might be filled with the goodness of brewed coffee and bacons with eggs, my whole house was just smothered with the invisible buttery smell the whole morning!

Strawberries and Blueberries are my favorite fruits for pastries. I am amazed on the sizes of the strawberries and was made to look at every pint at the grocery to find the smallest among them or else my pastries have to be super big to accomodate the giant fruit! The big ones went into the pot for mousse making and the blueberries are safe. Instant made custard pudding was used to comfort my mind of the extra cholesterols that I have to endure if I made from fresh eggs!

As expected, the piping process is still very new to me. Mousse and custard were all over the bags and I was half way licking away. Hmm.... fat! I got the ideas from mille feuille and stacked up the pastries, sprinkled with crushed pistachio. Hmm.... fat Fat! Finally, the layers are all done and I have no more words to describe but Hmm.... I am FAT FAT FAT!!! My motto is.... eat first, die later!


4 comments:

crazymommy said...

Drool....................................

When are you going to open a pastry shop? ;)

Lily Anette said...

and call it what... homemade pastry? Nopelah... just make for the enjoyment of family and good friends like you.

crazymommy said...

But seriously your pastry looks really good! i was chatting with my mom this morning abt it, and she encouraged me to try making too... but then... like you said, i have absolutely no patience!!!! Sigh........

Lily Anette said...

My friend.... perseverence and determination makes success and pride!

Sitemeter