Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Favorite Things (3)



I love bowls and my passion for them is like Carrie Bradshaw's passion for Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik shoes in Sex and the City. It might be a far fetched comparison but everyone has their own love for something tangible and mine are definitely bowls!!

Be it a small rice bowl or a big soup bowl, their round shape from their top rims curving downwards to their supporting base exudes a sensuous yet simple and sturdy structure to hold whatever is filled into them. Although they may be small in diameter sense compared to a dinner or dessert plate, their versatility is obvious, from holding heart warming homemade soup, rice and noodles to ice cream freshly scooped from the freezer topped with the best fudge sauce or fruits. I like the sense of privacy, encompassing my food all in one spot and out of sight from others while I happily scoop and eat away.

I love my Asian inspired bowls as their varieties in colors and sizes are more appealing compared to the white and unicolored ones I see here in the States. With darker hues used for the patterns and set against the background of an earthy pallette of beige, peach, light yellow or grass green, the bowls that I owned are good enough for both dinnerware use and display in every part of the house. Accentuated with a mahogany place stand, a simple bowl can be as classy and unique as a crystal in a glass lit cabinet. My "Super Bowl" in my collection will be the 2 antique bowls, once owned and inscripted with my grandfather's name, passed down to me from my mom. To be able to own these sentimental bowls is a great honor to me and to have them displayed amongst my other favorite things, I feel so content. Good things do come in small sizes and my bowls are priceless.

3 comments:

crazymommy said...

I love your bowls!! I especially love the first one becos that is the type my mom and my grandparents are still using!!

Lily Anette said...

they are my "bearable" babies!!!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

beautiful bowl, love d jap one.

Sitemeter