Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Recipe of the Day: Soup

I was browsing through my collection of cookbooks and I looked into one which contains recipes of Chinese soups. As with the principles of Ying & Yang, Chinese soups contain many types of ingredients, each one with certain qualities or benefit that contribute to the good of the body.

I actually made this Chicken Feet with Turnip and Mushroom soup 2 weeks ago when I had phlegm and a dry cough. The recipe mentioned that turnip is good to reduce phlegm and as I was losing my commanding voice around the house, I was desperate and gave it a try!!

And I can attest to the fact that it does work. My voice gradually came back and the phlegm was gone within 2 days. Missy E was having phlegm since Sunday and a bit lethargic compared to her usual self. So, I made this soup again tonight and made her gulp down the whole bowl. Hopefully I will hear her incessant "Why" questions to everything again by tomorrow.

By the way, the broth was clear with mild taste of the mushroom and the chicken feet together with the turnip complement each other just well.

Ingredients:

10 to 12 chicken feet (blanched in boiling water for 10 mins)

half of a small turnip (cut into chunks)

3 medium dried shiitake mushroom

white cabbage (discretionary amount)

6 cups of water

salt to taste

scallion for garnish

Method:
1)Simmer the blanched chicken feet together

with the turnip and mushroom on medium heat for 45 minutes.

2)Add the cabbage & salt and simmer further for 10 minutes.

Garnish with scallion & serve.

No comments:

Sitemeter